MCA STCW Medical First Aid
To give Seafarers who are designated to provide Medical First Aid on board ship the required training. In practical terms this is an advanced First Aid Course for leisure and commercial sailors and motor boaters venturing offshore. It is also required by super yacht officers training towards their Chief Mate's Certificate of Competence.
This course is popular with blue water sailors, ocean yachtsmen and those planning on spending substantial time at sea away from the support network of the UK and European authorities.
This certificate is required if you want to go onto the STCW Medical Care On Board Ship Course (often referred to as Ship Captain's Medical). We generally run the two back to back.
If you are a Commercial Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence holder and only hold one of the one day First Aid certificates you will be restricted to operating commercially up to 60 miles from a safe haven. If you also hold this, and the STCW Medical Care Certificate your operating area will extend to 150 miles from a safe haven for Yachtmaster Offshore holders and worlwide for Yachtmaster Ocean holders.
Four Days (28 hours contact time). Typically Saturday to Tuesday.
- STCW Elementary First Aid taken within the last three years
- Minimum age 16
In order to be awarded the STCW Certificate you must hold the earlier STCW certificate. Many sailors wish to take this course for their own peace of mind, despite not holding the STCW EFA certificate. In this instance, we still issue a certificate, it just excludes the STCW endorsement.
Training and certification is provided by an external MCA Approved Training Provider.
This course covers practical First Aid at Sea, use of category B Medical Supplies and caring for patients who may be with you for some time. It includes:
- Examination of a casualty or patient
- Basic life support
- Clearing an obstructed airway
- Use of inhalers when treating asthma
- Use of the face shield, pocket mask and plastic airway
- Immobilisation of neck injuries
- Lifting casualties into stretchers
- Immobilisation and using splints
- Pharmacology and drugs
- Layout and content of the Ship Captain's Medical Guide
The dates below denote the first day of the course. STCW Approval is held by our partner training organisation in Hamble.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More