MCA STCW Medical Care
To give seafarers who are designated to take charge of medical care on board ship the required training. In practical terms this is a very advanced Medical course for blue water leisure sailors who will be spending extended periods of time away from assistance. It is also required on code of practice vessels operating over 60NM from a safe Haven. Ideal for Commercial Offshore and Ocean Yachtmaster Skippers.
This certificate is often referred to as the Ship Captain's Medical Course. We generally run it back to back with the Medical First Aid Course (which is a pre requisite).
Five Days (35 hours contact time). This course typically runs Wednesday to Sunday.
- STCW Medical First Aid (within the last five years)
- Minimum age 16 (under 16s are welcome to join the course but will not receive the STCW certificate)
The course aims to train you in the application of advanced medical treatment, allowing you to effectively take the place of the paramedic and hospital staff who could be hundreds of miles and weeks away. The course includes the use of Category A Medical Supplies and drugs.
The more practical parts of the course include:
- Anaesthetics and sedatives
- Use of a sphygmomanometer, stethoscope and clinical thermometer
- Administration of oxygen
- Use of syringes, needles and safe disposal
- Drawing up the correct amount of a drug
- Giving injections
- Suturing a wound
- Minor surgical procedures
- Examination of the throat, eyes and mouth
- Tropical diseases
- Emergency childbirth procedure
- Procedures for keeping a body onboard
The dates below denote the first day of the course. Training and certification is provided by an external MCA Approved Training provider.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More
Doug, gives us his 7 top tips for getting your diesel engine ready for winter!More