RYA Short Range Certificate VHF Radio
The RYA SRC (VHF Radio) course can now be taken either in the classroom or online. The materials covered within the course will be the same, so you can simply pick the method of study that best suits you. Either way, there is a RYA SRC Exam at the end of the course (which can be taken at our centre).
This radio operator qualification authorises the holder to operate a short range marine VHF radio both with or without Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on board any British vessel that is voluntarily fitted with radio equipment. Essentially, it’s the VHF licence for leisure users. This qualification is a legal requirement for marine VHF users throughout the world. It is also useful to know what to do if you ever require assistance.
- Classroom Option - One day: 0930 to 1700 plus a 30-60 minute exam at the end of the day
- Online Option- The course takes 4 - 8 hours to complete online. Having completed the online course, you will then need to take the exam. This cannot be completed online and must be carried out at an RYA Centre
- Learn the phonetic alphabet in advance
- Read the RYA SRC handbook before the course, this book is included in your course fee and we will give you the choice of recieving it in digital or printed format
- While under 16s can take the course, you mst be 16 or over to take the exam and be issued the actual certificate
- To be able to do the online course you must have access to a PC, Mac or iPad
The course concentrates on use of VHF Radio under the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). In addition to VHF procedures, it also covers Digital Selective Calling (DSC), Navtex, EPIRBs and SARTs. This certificate has replaced the old VHF Restricted Licence and is the qualification required to operate a marine VHF Radio.
The classroom course is taught using our range of 14 live DSC and Navtex sets. You can expect to practice on Simrad, Icom and Silva radios and a Nasa Navtex set during your course.
Why not watch our short how-to video for a head start on sending a DSC distress alert:
The course is run from 0930 to 1700 with a short break for lunch. Your instructor is an RYA SRC Assessor; a second SRC Assessor will run a short RYA SRC exam at 1700. The exam takes 30-60 minutes.
Classoom Based Option
- Use of our Simrad, Icom, Silva or Standard Horizon VHF / DSC simulators
- Use of our NASA Navtex simulator
- A full day's training
- Free parking at our centre ( Subject to term & conditions )
Online Course Option
- Personal login and access to the RYA Interactive site
- Unlimited email support from our experienced instructors
Course Materials for both Options
- Regardless of whether you enroll on the classroom or the online version of the course you will receive a copy of the RYA VHF Handbook (by Tim Bartlett) included in your course fee to allow some pre reading. This book usually retails at £14. You can choose which of the following suits you:
- A printed book (free postage within the UK, £5 for rest of Europe, £10 for rest of world).
- Alternatively we can send you a code to download this content as an E-book. Athough the actual content of the book is the same, the E-book benefits from various animations, video and interactive tools and you will receive the E-book code by email much quicker than waiting for the printed version in the post. In order to read the E-book you will require a compatible device. You can download the free RYA book App now and check that it works on your device. http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/Pages/eBook-Devices.aspx
What's Not Included:
- RYA SRC Exam Fee (payable to the assessor on the day)
If the dates below do not suit you we can set up a bespoke 1:1, 2:1 or group course at a time that suits you.
To access the online course or choose a date for the classroom course, book online below or call 0238 0231122 to speak to one of our Course Advisors.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More