RYA Sail Cruising Instructor
To train and qualify Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence holders to deliver the RYA Start Yachting, RYA Competent Crew, RYA Dayskipper Sail, RYA Sail Cruising Level 1 and Level 2 Courses at RYA Training Centres.
Five days live aboard (commencing 0930 on day , which is usually a Monday).
- Minimum age 18 years.
- Commerciay endorsed RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence (Sail).
- In date First Aid certificate.
- Professional Practices and Responsibilities Certificate
- RYA Personal Member (join here)
- Have passed the RYA Cruising Instructor online pre course knowledge check*
* This is a free online course on learning how to teach. There are 2 open book online tests, one checks you have learnt the contents of the short course on learning styles, the second confirms your knowledge level is still at RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased. You can complete the short online course and tests after you have booked but they should be done before your Instructor courses starts with us.
The Course covers how to teach and debrief sailing students and shares with you many of the tricks of the trade. You will have the opportunity to practice teaching various parts of the Start Yachting, Competent Crew and Day Skipper sail courses with regular feedback from the trainer. Day 5 of the course is moderated by a second trainer.
The syllabus is as broken into five areas
- Session and course planning
- Structuring a lesson
- Identifying achievable tasks/transferable method
- Identify key teaching points
- Pre-requisite knowledge
- Logical order of delivery
- Course planning, particularly location and time management – planning vs. opportunism
- Use of teaching aids
- EDICTS as a benchmark to discuss, but not restricted to using this model
- Self-review ￼
- Teaching and learning theory
- How students learn
- Learning Styles
- Stages of learning
- Simple coaching models and their uses and limitations
- Barriers to learning
- Comfort / Stretch / Panic
- Questioning techniques
- Structuring feedback
- Observation skills
- Prioritising feedback– safety-learning-fun
- RYA orientation
- Overview of RYA recognition
- Role of: Cruising Instructor, Chief Instructor for cruising recognition and Centre Principal
- Operating procedures/Centre policies
- Dealing with complaints
- Registering and issuing of certificates
- ICC – issuing and assessing
- Catastrophe clinic
- Learning from accidents/incidents
Assessment is continual throughout the course, however we will be looking at you closer in the latter part of the course once you have had a chance to practice the skills we are teaching you. Assesment is based on
- Instructional Technique
- Set up tasks and teaching sessions appropriate to individual students
- Brief clearly
- Ensure tasks are undertaken safely
- Debrief students and agree an achievable plan for improvement
- Demonstrate any part of the Start Yachting, Competent Crew and Day Skipper Sail courses
- Explain practical application of any part of the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased course
The first three nights are spent on board away from base. The yacht usually returns to Shamrock Quay for the evening of Day 4 and candidates can optionally stay on board this night or return home if local.
5 days instruction
Yacht, gas and diesel
Accommodation on board
Meals and snacks on board
Loan of a life jacket
Free parking ( Subject to terms & conditions )
- Wet Weather Gear (hire for £20/5 days)
Recommended Pre-Course Reading and Useful Books:
If the dates below do not suit you please let us know. We may be able to offer an alternative, particularly if you are booking several months in advance.
RYA Instructor Training policy sets the minimum number of candidiates on this course as three and the maximum as four. In the evet that we do not sell at least three places we will have to cancel the course.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
From 1st January 2014 the way the RYA delivers Cruising Instructor training has changed. The intention is to raise the standard of all Cruising Instructor Training across the country and indeed the globe. We are excited to say that not only is every RYA Sail Cruising Instructor course going to be run over 5 days with a moderator using the model Stormforce Coaching developed eight years ago but the pool of trainers who deliver the course has been reduced rapidly. It goes without saying that while the pool of trainers is much smaller than it has been to date, we have several of them on our full time staff and are therefore in a strong position to run this course on demand.
Please call the office on 02380 231 122 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to make a booking.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More