Super Yacht PWC Instructor
Many Super Yachts carry PWC (Personal Watercraft) onboard for the use of owners and charter guests. Captains and agents are uneasy about charter guests using the PWC due to two main reasons:
- Some ports and nations require riders to be licensed
- A liability issue arises if there is an accident involving PWC
Since 2007 and in response to a request for help from the Super Yacht Industry, The Royal Yachting Association (RYA) will now recognise super yachts to become RYA Training Centres. Recognised Super yachts can then deliver a one hour PWC Safety Course to their guests and issue them with a certificate (temporary licence).
The PWC Safety Course Certificate
The certificate qualifies the holder to drive a PWC, while safety cover is provided by the yacht’s crew. It lasts for the duration of the charter, has the holder’s passport photo on it and is translated into six different languages.
How does the Super Yacht become Recognised?
Step 1 is for at least one of the crew to become a RYA PWC Instructor. Step 2 is to put the necessary procedures in place to be inspected and step 3 is to be visited by a RYA Centre Inspector.
What is required to become a RYA PWC Instructor?
- You must hold the RYA PWC Proficiency Certificate (1 day Course)
- You require an in date First Aid Certificate (1 day, STCW Elementary First Aid is sufficient)
- You must be a competent PWC rider
- You need to attend a 3 day RYA PWC Instructor Course
- RYA Membership (join here)
How Can Stormforce Coaching help?
We provide all of the necessary training and, if required, can also provide a consultancy service to ensure you gain RYA Recognition. We run all of these courses regularly from our Southampton Centre or can fly our trainers out to you to train your crew on board your yacht. We recommend training several of your crew at once: not only is this more cost effective but it means that if the qualified PWC Instructor leaves the crew, the yacht does not lose its RYA recognition as it still has another qualified Instructor.
The Full Package (Training and Consultancy)
- Desk top study done from the UK in preparation for recognition application
- 1 Day RYA PWC Proficiency Course on board your Super Yacht with up to six of your crew per trainer
- ICC PWC Licence (European Licence) included for anyone who is a UK citizen or resident
- 3 Day RYA PWC Instructor Course run by one of our trainers and moderated by a second trainer (again all on board your yacht)
- Consultancy from Doug Innes (a PWC Trainer and RYA Centre Inspector) on how to become RYA recognised. We write your safety procedures and risk assessments for you and put the relevent systems in place
- Optional First Aid training for anyone who is out of date
Requirements for Training to take place on board your yacht
You will need to provide the following:
- PWC’s (ideally two or more)
- Safety boat / RIB / Tender that can be used during the course
- Buoyancy Aids / Impact Vests for crew and trainers
- A dry teaching area on board
- Basic Safety Kit on board the PWC’s and Safety boat
- Accommodation (local or on board) and meals for our trainers
- Cost of travel to and from the yacht
For a quote please contact us on 023 8023 1122
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More
Doug, gives us his 7 top tips for getting your diesel engine ready for winter!More