MCA/RYA Yachtmaster Pwr. Conversion
If you already hold either the Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence or Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence for sail then you can convert to motor. As with the Yachtmaster sail, we run preparation training back to back with your exam. The good news is that you have already done the hard work by completing the sailing exam and the conversion exam is only three hours per person.
Simple really: we aim to work with you to ensure you pass your exam. The preparation time not only gets you familiar with the boat, the Solent and the crew, but it also looks at exam techniques and polishes any rusty skills.
Four days plus the exam (depending on the number of candidates, the exam may take place on the 4th evening or the 5th and 6th day). Although the preparation week and exam includes some night work, overnight accommodation is not provided on board the boat.
YACHTMASTER COASTAL CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE EXAM PRE REQUISITES:-
- SEATIME (of which at least 50% is logged in tidal waters)*
- 30 days motor cruising (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- 800 miles logged (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- 12 night hours (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- 2 days as skipper (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
* For holders of the RYA Coastal Skipper Course Completion Certificate Sea Time is reduced to 20 days, 400 miles, 12 night hours and 2 days as skipper.
YACHTMASTER OFFSHORE CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE EXAM PRE REQUISITES:-
- SEATIME (of which at least 50% is logged in tidal waters)
- 50 days motor cruising (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- 2,500 miles logged (at least 50% on board vessels between less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- QUALIFYING PASSAGES (on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7m LWL and 24m LOA)
- 5 passages of 60 miles or more
- 2 of those passage as skipper
- 2 of those passages being overnight
For the conversion exams, half of the above mileage can be borrowed from your sailing log, so only half needs to be logged on a motor cruiser.
During your conversion training we will concentrate principally on 5 areas:
- Boat Handling in a twin engine motor cruiser
- Passage planning for high speed craft
- Electronic navigation, with particular focus on Radar
- MOB procedure
- Improved diesel knowledge, with get you home techniques
If these subjects sound daunting then you should consider the one day RYA Radar and RYA Diesel courses. As with all exam preparations, this is not the time to learn techniques from scratch but to revise existing skills.
- 4 to 6 days use of our motor cruiser
- 4 days of instruction
- Diesel and onboard consumables
- Lunch, tea/coffee and snacks onboard
- Dinner on board for those evenings there is a night excercsie
- Free berthing at the home port
- Parking at our marina ( Subject to Terms & Conditions )
What's Not Included:
- Accommodation or some evening meals
- Wet Weather gear (£5 per day to hire from us)
- RYA Yachtmaster Conversion Exam Fee (paid to the examiner on the day)
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More