RYA Powerboat Level 2 (Thunder Cat)
If you want to buy a new Thunder Cat or race in the Thunder Cat series then you need to hold the RYA Powerboat Level 2 Certificate (unless you have sufficent boating experience). We could never understand why people buying a 4m tiller steered catamaran race boat were expected to train in a wheel steered mono hull RIB, so we were delighted when Thunder Cat Racing UK approached us to run Thunder Cat specific training for the class and new entrants.
The entire course is taught in your Thunder Cat and while it fulfills all of the syllabus and requirements of the RYA Powerboat Level 2 Certificate it is bespoke towards these exciting craft. There are some short shorebased sessions that take place in one of our classrooms.
The Thunder Cat specific RYA Powerboat Level 2 course is a stepping stone towards the RYA Powerboat Racing Course which is run by Thunder Cat Racing UK. The Level 2 course is suitable for both the pilot and the co-pilot.
2 days, 0930 to 1700. The days are usually consecutive but do not have to be.
Minimum age 16
- Boat familiarisation
- Launch and recovery
- Berthing and un-berthing in marinas and at moorings
- Turning in a confined space and close quarter handling
- High speed handling
- Effective turning at speed, S and U turns
- Mark rounding
- Person Overboard recovery
- Collison avoidance and the IRPCS
- Introduction to charts and tides
- Sources of relevent weather information and effects on sea state
- Safety equipment and summoning assistance
- IALA bouyage
The course is generally run from our training center at Shamrock Quay, Southampton, you can arrive with your new Thunder Cat either on a trailer or already in the water. You can berth it with us for the duration of the course. If you arrive with it on the trailer then one of the first sessions will be launching.
Alternatively we can come to you, although this may incur travel expense for the Instructor. The course fee includes;
- 2 days of Instruction
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate for each student
- RYA Start Powerboating Handbook for each student
- Overnight berthing at Shamrock Quay during your course
- Parking at Shamrock Quay during your course
What's Not Included:
- Boat and fuel
- Wet weather clothing/drysuit
On completion of this course we will also sign off the necessary paperwork for you to obtain the ICC (International Certificate of Competence) for power craft upto 10m. We make no extra charge for this, however there is a RYA fee, which they will waive for RYA members.
This course is sold to singles, pairs or groups of three new pilots, and is primarily aimed at new racing teams. It is seperate from the class organised RYA Powerboat Racing License Training.
- 2-day 3:1 course - £444 between you
- 2-day 2:1 course - £432 between you
- 2-day 1:1 course - £420
Please call the office on 02380 231 122 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to make a booking.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More