MCA/RYA Yachtmaster Power
The Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence and Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence Courses are very similar in the way we run them. They are both a four day preparation course followed by an exam (making a five-six day package). Whilst the syllabus for each is very similar, the Offshore candidate requires more logged sea time and will be pushed harder in the exam. If you're unsure as to exactly which level you should aim for, we are happy for you to book the preparation course and decide part way through, once you have seen the kind of exercises involved. The external examiner will not know which exam you are each taking until he/she meets you.
Simple really! To work with you to ensure you pass your exam. The preparation time not only helps get you familiar with the boat, the operating area and the crew, but it also looks at exam techniques and polishes any rusty skills.
Six days (with a 0930 start on day 1). The first four days are spent with our instructor on board coaching you. There is then an exa wich can last up to 48 hours. In reality some groups finish their exam on Day 5. There will be several late finishes as night pilotage is part of the training and the exam, although accommodation is not provided onboard the boat overnight.
- SEATIME (of which at least 50% is logged in tidal waters)*
- 30 days motor cruising (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- 800 miles logged (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- 12 night hours (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- 2 days as skipper (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
* For holders of the RYA Coastal Skipper Course Completion Certificate Sea Time is reduced to 20 days, 400 miles, 12 night hours and 2 days as skipper.
- SEATIME (of which at least 50% is logged in tidal waters)
- 50 days motor cruising (at least 50% on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- 2,500 miles logged (at least 50% on board vessels between less than 80 grt and between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- QUALIFYING PASSAGES (on board vessels less than 80 grt and between 7m LWL and 24m LOA)
- 5 passages of 60 miles or more
- 2 of those passage as skipper
- 2 of those passages being overnight
Qualifying passages and seatime should have been logged in the ten years preceding the exam, seatime that is more than ten years old does not qualify.
The preparation part of the week is intended to act as a refresher on pilotage, boat handling, safety, skippering and passage planning. In particular, skills like blind navigation, electronic navigation (radar and GPS), night pilotage and MOB procedure are considered. During the exam, candidates will be set tasks to demonstrate their ability as a Yachtmaster and are asked questions on any part of the syllabus for all practical and shorebased courses up to Yachtmaster level.
- 5-days use of our Sea Ray 37 motor cruiser (or a similar boat)
- 4-days of instruction
- Diesel and on board consumables
- Lunch, tea/coffee and snacks onboard
- Evening meals onboard
- Free berthing at the home port
- Free parking at our marina ( Subject to terms & conditions )
What's Not Included:
- One evening meal (usually eaten ashore)
- Wet Weather gear (£20 per week to hire)
- MCA Yachtmaster Exam Fee (paid to the examiner on the day)
- Overnight accommodation onboard the boat
The dates below denote the first day of the five day preparation and exam package. The courses start at 0930 on the first morning. If these dates do not suit, please contact us to discuss alternatives.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More
Doug, gives us his 7 top tips for getting your diesel engine ready for winter!More