MCA/RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Oral Exam
A person holding a Yachtmaster Ocean qualification is sufficiently experienced and competent to skipper a yacht on passages of any length in all parts of the world. It is the highest level of qualification in the RYA Cruising and Yachtmaster Scheme.
1.5 to 2 hour oral exam.
- Minimum age 18 years
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence (Sail or Motor)
- Current MCA STCW'95 First Aid, HSE First Aid or RYA First Aid Certificate
- RYA Short Range Certificate (or higher level GMDSS qualification)
- Ocean passage as skipper or mate of watch where the candidate was fully involved in the planning of the passage, including selection of the route, the navigational plan, checking the material condition of the yacht and her equipment, storing spare gear, water and victuals and organising the watch-keeping routine. During the passage a minimum non-stop distance of 600 miles must have been run by the log, the yacht must have been at sea continuously for at least 96 hours and the yacht must have been more than 50 miles from land while sailing a distance of at least 200 miles. Qualifying passage must be within 10 years prior to the exam.
- Navigational records, completed on board a yacht on passage (not necessarily the same passage as the qualifying passage above), out of sight of land showing that the candidate has navigated the yacht without the use of electronic navigational aids. The records should include, as a minimum, the planning, reduction and plotting of a sun-run-meridian altitude sight. The records should also include a compass check carried out using the bearing of the sun, moon, a star or planet.
- RYA Ocean Shorebased Certificate OR take an extra written paper during the oral exam.
During the oral exam the candidate may be required to answer questions on all aspects of ocean passage making in a yacht, including passage planning, astronavigation, worldwide meteorology, crew management and yacht preparation, maintenance and repairs. He/she will also be asked questions regarding their qualifying passages and sights.
- The oral exam
- Certification from the RYA
- Free parking ( Subject to Terms & Conditions )
We will arrange the MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Oral Exam at a time that suits you. Please note the fee is not paid to us but to the RYA Examiner.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
- We are very flexible on dates
- With 5 training rooms at our centre we can fit you in, even at busy times
- We have access to a large selection of examiners
- We do not charge anything for arranging your exam, you only pay the RYA fee to the exmainer
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More