Yachtmaster Programme for Ocean Race Crew
It goes without saying that sailors who have crewed an ocean race have ammassed a huge number of sea miles and sailing experience. As such, there is often no need for them to work through the whole RYA scheme in order to become a qualified Yachtmaster Offshore, or even Yachtmaster Ocean.
This programme is specifically designed for those who have already crewed a yacht offshore over a large number of miles and are therefore already competent offshore sailors and yachtsmen/women. The programme has been written primarily written for sailors who have completed one or more of the following:
- 1 (or more) leg of the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race
- 1 (or more) leg of the BT Global Challenge Round the World Yacht Race
- The Atlantic Rally for Cruisers or ARC Race
- RORC Fastnet Campaign (and extra mileage)
- Similar experience to that described above
We want to you to gain the maximum advantage from the experience you have already gained, so that you will be able to spend your time with us focusing completely on the areas that need developing, such as:
- Close-quarter boat handing
- Passage planning
- Associated knowledge
The Yachtmaster Programme for Ocean Race Crew takes 3.5 to 4 weeks to complete. This is made up from 5 shorebased days in the classroom and 19 days afloat.
Candidates should meet a number of pre-requisites in order to attend this course:
- Have sailed a minimum of 2,000 miles (although ideally a lot more)
- Be a minimum age of 18
- Have completed the RYA Short Range Certificate (1 day course) or higher
- Have completed the RYA First Aid Course (1 day course) or higher
- Have completed the RYA Sea Survival (1 day course) or higher
- Have a good working knowledge of basic navigation
This highly specialised course consists of the following areas:
- 5 days studying the RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased syllabus
- 5 days skills and drills yacht course in the Solent (boat handling, skippering and pilotage)
- 7 days offshore cruising in the English Channel (logging 60nm skippered passages)
- 5 days Yachtmaster Preparation Week in the Solent
- 2 day Yachtmaster Offshore Exam
This is a comprehensive course package, which includes the following:
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Certificate
- Meals and accommodation onboard the training yacht (for the 3 yachting sections of the programme)
- 3 weeks of instruction
- Use of the yacht, gas and diesel
- Free parking at Shamrock Quay marina ( Subject to Terms & Conditions )
What's Not Included:
- Meals and accommodation for the 5 day shorebased course are not provided. Meals and accommodation are both available locally.
- MCA Yachtmaster Exam Fee, which is payable directly to the RYA.
- Berthing fees, away from the home marina.
If you are pursuing a full time career (or even some part time work) in sailing, then you will need to obtain a commercial endorsement to the Yachtmaster Offshore qualification. In addition to the above training you will also need a Medical form, certified by a Doctor and will need to complete the RYA PPR course. The commercial endorsement will then cost £30 from the RYA.
If your aim is to be able to teach people how to sail, you will need to become an RYA Cruising Instructor. The Cruising Instructor Course can be added to the above programme if required.
If you require only part of this programme, please call us on 02380 231122 to discuss your experience and goals. Likewise, if you think you may need additional training or bespoke options, please call or e-mail as we will endeavour to tailor the programme to your individual needs.
We offer a substantial discount if you can bring a group of four people to us, so get chatting to your crew mates!
Please call the office on 02380 231 122 or e-mail email@example.com for more information, or to make a booking.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More