Barbados Race Series 2018
- Meet in St. Lucia
- Sail to Barbados and Race in 2 events
- Sail to Grenada
2 EXCITING EVENTS
- Race Training in Barbados
- Barbados Coastal Race Series (3 days)
- The 60 mile Round Barbados Race
1 COMPREHENSIVE PACKAGE
The opening event of our Caribbean season takes place in January. The historic race around the Caribbean Isle of Barbados dates back to the 19th century and is based upon bragging rights for the fastest “Trading Schooner”. This was a prize worth its' weight in gold to captains in an era where prices for cargo arriving ahead of that of rival ships commanded a massive premium.
2018 will be the 82nd aniversary of this traditional race. Whilst historically most boats sailed the race for the honour of achieving the fastest time, the consolation prize (a barrel of Mount Gay Rum for the slowest) certainly spurred on some captains; indeed the consolation prize had to be discontinued after two boats remained out at sea for days, stalling so that they could take the rum prize!
In the modern day, prizes are slightly different and any yacht beating a record will win the skipper's weight in rum.
The Stormforce Coaching Barbados package is a fun fortnight; consisting of two passages and two events, for those who don't take life too seriously and want to enjoy some Caribbean partying and sailing. The variety of racing, relaxed timings between events and visiting three countries makes for a very special holiday and regatta. Can you think of a better place to be in late January?
Following the success of our 2014, 2015 & 2017 teams we will be entering a team again in 2018, but spaces are limited. Contact us to book your place on board!
- Minimum age 18
- We expect all crew to have a basic competence in sailing, i.e. to be familiar with the points of sail, use of winches, handling lines and so on. In reality many crew who sign up for this package will be far more experienced. A mixed experience of crew works well for this event.
If the crow flew in a circle, the Round Barbados Race would be around 60 miles long. However, as we're not racing crows, yachts end up doing around 70 miles plus. The trade winds and incredible sailing conditions make it a great course. Starting at the Barbados Cruising Club, we sail through the historic Carlisle Bay, pass the deep water harbour to starboard and then begin a 20 mile tight reach in calm water up the platinum coast of Barbados, passing the homes and haunts of the very rich and very famous. After rounding the top of the island, we encounter the full force of the Atlantic with nothing between us and Africa but ocean. We will then face a good 7 mile plus beat in tricky currents, windshifts and some big waves. Follow this with a 20 mile fetch, riding those same waves beam on, trying to maximise speed without losing height enough to clear East Point. Bear away and hoist through the big, breaking Atlantic rollers for a fantastic 18 mile downwind slide along the south coast. Drop the kite and skate round the South West corner of the island to the finish! Stop the clock and see if it’s time to fatten the skipper up ready for the weigh in!
The Coastal Race series (which includes the 18-mile Two Restaurants Race) is a warm up to the big event, starting off at the Barbados Cruising Club. Three days of racing make use of the Southern and Western coast of Barbados.
Our time in Barbados culminates with a 150 mile overnight passage to Grenada.
Those who have less avaiable time can shorten the package by missing either the passage form St Lucia a the start or missing the pasage to Grenada at the end.
The Mount Gay Barbados Race in 2015!
The 2018 programme:
- 12 January - Team welcome dinner (Rodney Bay, St. Lucia)
- 13 January - Safety brief and boat induction to yacht
- 13 January - Offshore overnight passage from St. Lucia to Barbados
- 14 January - Arrive Barbados
- 15 & 16 January - Inshore Race training (Barbados)16 January - Evening Mount Gay Rum Welcome Party
- Packing, hoisting, trimming, gybing and dropping the spinnaker
- Head sail changes and main sail reefing
- Upwind performance and efficent tacking
- Sail trim, boat speed and improving performance
- Race tactics and rules
- Start lines and mark rounding
- 17 January - Race day 1
- 18 January - Race day 2 - The 18 mile "Two Restaurants Race"
- 19 January - Race day 3
- 20 January - Lay day (Mount Gay Rum Tour and sponsors activities)
- 21 January - Race day 4 - The Round Barbados Race
- 22 January - Lay day - Prize giving
- 23 January - Boat preparation & farewell party
- 24 January - 150 mile overnight cruise to Grenada
- 25 January - Arrive Grenada
If your short of time and just want to train, race and party you can join us in Barbados from the morning of 15 January to evening of 22 January 2018. If you have a bit more time to soak up the Caribbean sunshine you can join the optional passages from St. Lucia and on to Grenada at no extra cost and effectively extend your sailing holiday while visiting these beautiful Islands.
At Stormforce Coaching, our comprehensive package includes full training and two race events:
- Accommodation on board the yacht during the St Lucia to Barbados passage and the Barbados to Grenada passage
- Experienced Race Skipper / Instructor
- Entry into all the events / races
- Soft drinks and lunches on board for all sailing days
- Breakfasts and dinners on board for the passage
- General boat expenses (berthing, diesel, gas)
- Loan of a life jacket
- Pre-event race training
- 2 race events
- Plenty of Caribbean partying
- Crew shirt to wear for the 2 events and take home as a souvenir
What's Not Included:
- Meals ashore
- Airport transfers
- Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) - reccomended
- Accommodation on board the yacht in Barbados; we can recommend a good, competitively priced accommodation close to the yacht moorings and club house*
*Those more used to UK sailing often ask us if they can sleep on board the yacht in the marina during the event. In our experience the large crews that we race with prefer the air conditioned hotel or B&B option. This benefits us all, in that the boat is not cluttered with personal kit during racing. Hence we all sleep aboard for the offshore passage from St Lucia to Barbados and again for the Barbados to Greada passage but sleep ashore when in port.
Preferential rates are available for teams and whole crews. Please speak to one of our Course Advisors for more information.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
Our 2014 team was the 1st sea school boat and the 1st F40.7 in all three events. Our overall results included;
- Line Honours (all under 60 foot monohulls) - Round Barbados Race
- 2nd in class - Round Barbados Race
- 1st overall - Barbados to Antigua Race
Our 2015 team followed this up with a podium result for all three events;
- 3rd (CSA Racing Class) - Coastal Race Series
- 1st (under 50 feet class) & Line Honours (overall) - Round Barbados Race
- 3rd - Barbados to Antigua Race
We did not race this event in 2016, but returned in 2017 aiming to better our 2015 results, which the team achieved;
- 2nd (CSA Racing Class) - Coastal Race Series
- 1st (under 50 feet class) & Line Honours (overall) - Round Barbados Race
- 3rd across all CSA classes - Round Barbados Race
- 2nd Barbados to Antigua Race
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More