RYA Short Range Certificate SRC Exam
The Short Range Certificate is the VHF licence issued to someone who has completed both SRC training and assessment, in order to be competent to use a marine radio. From January 2014, anyone who would like an SRC (Short Range Certificate) will have to undergo a short exam after their training. Even if you have completed the course online, you will still need to attend an RYA centre in order to sit the exam. The exam consists of two sections: a written paper and practical use of a marine VHF (Very High Frequency) Radio / DSC (Digital Selective Calling) set.
At Stormforce Coaching, you can pre-book an SRC exam seven days a week, at a time that suits you. If you complete a classroom based SRC course with us, the SRC exam will automatically follow at the end of the course. However, if you completed your training course online or with another training provider, we will arrange an exam at a time that suits you.
The SRC exam will typically take between 30 and 60 minutes to complete. We can book you in for an exam at any time of the week, just call one of our course advisors on 02380 231122 to find a time that suits you!
- Candidates should be a minimum of age 16
- Candidates must hold one of the following before attending an exam:
- RYA Short Range Certificate Classroom Course Completion Number OR
- RYA Short Range Certificate Online Course Completion Number OR
- The old RYA VHF Authority to Operate* OR
- An Aviation Radio Licence*
* Holders of either of these certificates are advised to attend the full Short Range Certificate Course, although, as an alternative, they may complete relevant self study and simply attend an exam.
The written exam paper consists of a combination of multiple choice questions and some longer answers; it can cover any part of the Short Range Certificate Course. The practical assessment will include some of the following subject matter:
- Define a distress situation
- Initiate a DSC (Digital Selective Calling) distress alert, with position and time input manaully or automatically
- Send a Mayday message by voice
- Respond appropriately to a DSC distress alert and to a Mayday message, including relay of a distress message
- Know how to deploy an EPIRB and SART
- Know the procedure for cancellation of a distress message sent in error
- Identify a situation in which an urgency message is appropriate
- Initiate a DSC Urgency alert
- Send an Urgency message by voice
- Identify a situation in which a safety message is appropriate
- Initiate a DSC Safety alert
- Send a Safety message by voice
- Receive Maritime Safety Information by NAVTEX
- Initiate a DSC routine call
- Establish communication and exchange messages with another station by voice, using appropriate channels
- Test the VHF set by means of an appropriate test call
- Enter a DSC group and individual MMSI
- Maintain an appropriate listening watch on DSC and voice channels
- Use the international phonetic alphabet
The time allocated for your exam will include the following:
- Admin (check form and passport photo)
- Familiarisation with our VHF/DSC sets
- SRC Written Paper
- SRC Practical Assessment
You will normally be told the exam result immediately; your paperwork will subsequently be posted to the RYA, who will issue your certificate by post.
The exam fee includes the following:
- Written SRC Exam
- Practical SRC Assessment
- Use of our training VHF/DSC simulators
- Posting of paperwork
- Issue of the Short Range Certificate by the RYA
- Free Parking ( Subject to terms & conditions )
What's Not Included:
- SRC Training, although this can be provided separately, if necessary
- Passport Photo
If you book a one day SRC course with us then we will automatically arrange the SRC exam for the end of the day. If you need an exam at any other time, call or email us to arrange a convenient time slot on 02380231122 or email@example.com.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
No other training centre can offer you the ability to book an exam slot 7 days a week at a time that suits you.
Please call the office on 02380 231 122 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to make a booking.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More