RORC Trans Atlantic Race 2017
The RORC Transatlantic Race is to take place on 25 November 2017. The fleet will set off from Puerto Calero, Lanzarote in the Canary Islands and finish off at the Caribbean Island of Grenada. The RORC Transatlantic race will be the longest offshore race in the 2017 RORC calendar, topping in at 2,800 miles.
The race, commencing 25 November 2017, will be run under OSR Category 1. This start date ensures that the RORC Transatlantic Race teams will cross the finish line in the Caribbean in good time for Christmas. Our team will meet in Lanzarote for six days of training and preparation before embarking upon this epic ocean race.
Training and racing combined is likely to take 3 to 3.5 weeks in late November and December. Exact race time will be dependant on actual weather.
For many, the chance to sail across the Atlantic Ocean is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It is no mean feat, and we do require crew to meet certain pre-requisites:
- You should be a minimum age 18
- Have completed the ISAF Offshore Safety course (in the 5 yrs preceeding race start)
- Experience in line with any one of the following:
- Have raced with us on RORC Caribbean 600 OR
- Have been a member of our RORC Round Britain & Ireland Team OR
- Have been a member of our RORC Fastnet Race Campaign Team OR
- Have been a member of our RORC Round Ireland Team OR
- Have been a member of our ARC Transatlantic Team OR
- Have previously competed in a 600 mile (or longer) offshore/ocean race OR
- Have booked a berth on the same yacht for the passage down to Lanzarote OR
- Similar experience to be discussed with our Principal
As a team, we must pre qualify for this transatlantic race event. The qualifications fall into three categories.
QUALIFYING MILEAGE: The skipper and 50% of the team should have competed in 500 miles of offshore racing in the same yacht in the preceding 18 months. For this reason, we are encouraging existing crew who have sailed with us before to join us. If you have not sailed with us before, then the sooner you book, the sooner you will be confirmed a place, as we will not be able to take bookings from a entire crew who are new to us. That said, all crew will be expected to have a minimum of 600 miles of offshore racing under their belts.
SAFETY TRAINING: RORC requires a minimum of 30% of the crew to have completed ISAF Offshore Safety Training in the preceding 5 years. We, however, are aiming for 100% of the crew to have competed this training prior to the race.
FIRST AID TRAINING: At least two of the crew should have completed First Aid Training in the preceding five years. As both the skipper and mate are trained above this level, we do not envisage any problems, but would like as many of the crew as possible to have completed relevant First Aid Training.
- Pre event training and race preparation in Lanzarote on board the yacht
- Professional race skipper & mate
- All meals on board for the duration of both races
- All on board expenses
- Race entry fees
- Team shirt
What's Not Included:
- Flights and transfers
- Travel insurance
- Meals ashore at either end
- Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) - required
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More
Doug, gives us his 7 top tips for getting your diesel engine ready for winter!More