MCA STCW Proficiency in Security Awareness
New for 2014, this course now falls under the MCA STCW Basic Safety Training.
All new seafarers and super yacht crew are required to hold this certificate.
The STCW Convention and Code, as amended by the Manila amendments (2010), contains new requirements regarding security training. This training is required by all personnel employed or engaged onboard ships to which the ISPS Code applies. These regulations came into force on 1st January 2012, however, Port State Control Officers have been requested by IMO not to enforce this regulation until 1st January 2014 provided that the vessel otherwise complies with the ISPS code (see IMO circulars STCW Circ.7/16 and STCW Circ.7/17).
Security awareness training must be undertaken by all seafarers employed or engaged in any capacity on ships which are required to comply with the ISPS Code. This training/instruction must meet the requirements of Section A-VI/6 paragraph 4 of the amended STCW code.
Full details can be found on the MCA website at MIN 472.
2 hours if taken as part of STCW Basic Safety Week or 4 hours if taken as a stand alone course.
Training is provided by an external MCA Approved Training Provider.
The course provides necessary knowledge, understanding and proficiency to personnel intending to work on ships and super yachts who will not have any designated security duties.
- How to contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness
- How to recognise security threats
- Understanding the need for, and methods of maintaining security awareness and vigilance
- Course Manual
- STCW Proficency in Security Awareness Certificate
This is a specialised courses that we outsource to another local training organisation.
This course is part of the week long STCW Basic Safety Week. Occasionally the dates may be subject to change at short notice but will always be run within the same week. We will endeavour to notify you as soon as possible if this were to happen.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More