RYA Sail Cruising Level 1 (Start Sailing)
This course provides a short introduction to sailing for novices. By the end of the course you will have the basic understanding of yacht handling under sail techniques and background knowledge. It is recommended that all participants consolidate this short introduction with the Basic Skills and Better Sailing courses.
2 days or 5 evenings
- Spars and rigging, parts of the sail and sail controls
- Wind awareness for sail hoisting
- Use of halyards and their associated winches
Sailing techniques and manoeuvres
- Wind awareness afloat
- Reaching – sailing across the wind
- Stopping – hove-to
- Controlling speed
- Tacking – turning the front of the boat through the wind
- Sailing upwind
- The Four Essentials
- Sailing downwind
- Gybing – turning the back of the boat through the wind, from a training run
- Importance of good communication when manoeuvring
Slipping and coming alongside
- Action to be taken as a crew member when departing from or arriving at the yacht’s mooring
- Tie a figure of eight knot, round turn and two half hitches, clove hitch, bowline and secure a rope to a cleat
- Securing a fender to the yacht
- An awareness of other water users
- Basic rules of the road – Avoid a collision at all costs, power/sail, port/starboard, overtaking boat, windward boat
- Visual methods of attracting attention
- Knows where to obtain a weather forecast Instructor’s signature Date
Safety at Sea
- Use of and correct fitting of lifejackets
- Use of a safety harness if fitted
- Actions to be taken to recover a man overboard as a crew member
- Understands where safety equipment is stowed and how it is used
- Potential hazards of fuel and gas
The course is spent aboard one of our cruising yachts. This is a non residential course.
- Yacht, gas and diesel
- Lunch, tea and coffee on board
- Loan of a life jacket
- RYA Sail Cruising Level 1- Start Sailing Certificate
- Free Parking at Shamrock Quay Marina ( Subject to terms & conditions )
What's Not Included:
- Wet weather gear (available for £5 a day to hire from us)
Please call the office on 02380 231 122 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to make a booking.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More