MCA STCW OOW Nav & Radar 1 - Distance Learning
In order to complete the OOW (Officer of the Watch) Yacht 3,000 GRT Certificate of Competence candidates must complete a number of modules. The first half of the OOW STCW Navigation and Radar Module is one that can be completed at home or whilst on board. This is a distance learning course approved by the MCA that you can complete in your own time without the associated costs of hotels while you study. The full module can be described as "blended learning", the first half is taken as a distance learning option, which culminates in a written exam (invigilated anywhere on the planet by a Senior Officer, Harbour Master, Coastguard etc.). Following this distance learning course you can progress onto the second half of the module (not included), which is the five day MCA STCW OOW Navigation & Radar 2 - Bridge Simulation Course at a MCA Maritime College, which culminates in your second exam. At the time of writing the college are runing the course every two month. There is no need to pay for the bridge simulation yet. You need to complete this distance learning course first.
This style of blended learning allows what is normally a three week module at a training centre/nautical college to be taught in two units. The distance learning half of the module allows you to remain on board and "learn while you earn." The actual time at college is then only five days. We believe this approach will suit many seafarers/superyacht crew and their employers.
This course is run by an affiliate third party training centre who holds appropriate MCA accreditation.
A minimum of 60 hours of study at home or on board ship. This module must be completed within 6 months of enrolment.
There are 12 units within the module which include components of:
- Collision Regulations
- Electronic Navigation Aids
The module culminates in an examination on navigational theory and radar plotting. The exam may also include content that has been previously taught during Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased and Practical. During the course you will have access to your own mentor with whom you send assignments for marking by e-mail. Your mentor is also available by Skype or e-mail if required.
- Training Software (Windows or MAC) supplied on CD or USB Memory Stick
- Postage charge for course materials to a UK address
- Training Almanac
- 5 Charts
- Tidal stream Atlas
- Chart Symbols (5011)
- 375 + simulations which enhance the learning
What's Not Included:
- 5-Day Practical Radar Simulator Course at Glasgow City College
- £30 postage charge for course materials to an overseas address
Please call the office on 02380 231 122 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to make a booking.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More