MCA Celestial Exam Preparation
From 1st January 2014 the MCA Celestial Navigation exam is required for anyone taking the
- Master (Yachts) <500gt Certificate of Competence
- Master (Yachts) <3000gt Certificate of Competence (CoC)
This complete online course is aimed as an exam preparation you can study at home or on board. (Learn while you Earn).
Refresh rusty skills in Celestial Navigation and fill in any gaps you may have before taking your MCA oral exam.
Approximately 40 hours of home study
This course is intended for Chief Mate, Master 500 and Master 3000 candidates, as such students will have considerable experience of on board navigation.
- Using celestial bodies to fix a position
- Identify and select the most suitable celestial bodies in the twilight period
- Determine the time of visible rising and setting of the sun
- Use acceptable methods to calculate Altitude and Azimuth
- Accurately plot position lines to establish a fix
- Use the Nautical Almanac and calculator, or quick method tables, to fix a position line from an Altitude obtained by a sextant and time obtained from a chronometer
- Determining latitude by celestial means
- Calculate the Latitude by Polaris
- Calculate the Latitude by meridian altitude of the sun or planet
- Calculate the time of meridian altitude of the sun or planet
- Determining compass error by celestial means
- Determine compass error by Amplitude of the sun or a planet
- Determine compass error by Azimuth or the sun
- Determine compass error by Azimuth of a star or planet
The student may use any method to calculate a fix using Celestial Objects to obtain position lines and may use the Nautical Almanac and the quick method tables. Calculators are allowed but not programmable calculators, smart phones, tablets or computers.
- Complete set of celestial navigation tables
- UK postage of the above materials
- Unique online login
- Your own dedicated mentor
- Email support
What's Not Included:
- MCA Celestial Navigation Oral Exam
- Overseas postage (charged at cost)
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
Why take time and go to college when you can complete this study in your own time?
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More
Doug, gives us his 7 top tips for getting your diesel engine ready for winter!More