RYA Day Skipper 9-Day Combined
This combined Day Skipper course prepares you for taking on the responsible role of skipper. The RYA Day Skipper Combined Shorebased & Practical course is an opportunity to become a qualified Day Skipper in only 9 days.
Although both the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased and Day Skipper Practical courses can each be taken as stand alone courses, this "Nine Day Shorebased and Practical Combined Course" has rapidly become the most popular option for aspiring day skippers. Rather than having to take two separate 5-day courses, this combined option allows you to complete the Day Skipper course in 9 consecutive days. This saves a day, prevents repetition of learning and means you only have to take one week off work! Most importantly, the day you 'lose' is from the shorebased section of the course, meaning you still get to spend 5 days afloat!
The RYA Day Skipper combined course runs for 9 consecutive days. Courses begin on a Saturday and until Tuesday are run from 0930 to 1700 in one of our shorebased training rooms. The rest of the course (Wednesday to Sunday) is spent afloat, living onboard one of our training yachts.
There are some pre-requisites you should meet in order to join the combined day skipper course. These include:
- Minimum age of 16 years
- 5 days experience onboard a sailing yacht
- 100 miles logged
- 4 night hours onboard a sailing yacht
- RYA Competent Crew (recommended)
- RYA SRC Course (useful)
- Basic helming and sailing ability
- You should be able to helm close hauled
- You should understand sail trim for close hauled, reaching and downwind sailing
- Gybes should not be taking you by surprise
- You should be able to hoist, reef and set sails
Course materials are provided and posted by Stormforce Coaching. Online content and hosting for any relevant sections of this course is by Navathome and most importantly ongoing support is provided by Stormforce Coaching Instructors. Stormforce Coaching’s standard terms and conditions apply.
The RYA 9-day Combined Day Skipper course provides the opportunity to learn the essential navigation skills needed to become a yacht skipper in the classroom before setting sail and putting them into practice. The course syllabus includes work on pilotage, boat handling, seamanship and navigation.
The 9-day combined Day Skipper course with Stormforce Coaching is a comprehensive package, which includes:
- 4 days shorebased tuition (Saturday - Tuesday)
- 5 days practical yachting instruction (Wednesday - Sunday)
- Yacht, gas and diesel (Wednesday - Sunday)
- Accommodation onboard (Wednesday - Sunday)
- Meals and snacks onboard (Wednesday - Sunday)
- Loan of a life jacket
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Course Notes
- RYA Training charts and exercises
- RYA Day Skipper Sail certificate
- Free parking ( subject to terms & conditions )
What's Not Included:
- Foul weather gear (this is available to hire from us for £5 per day if required)
- Berthing fees away from the home port
- One evening meal (to be eaten ashore)
If you wish to skipper your yacht abroad, you may wish to apply for the ICC (International Certificate of Competence). Once you have passed the Day Skipper practical course we are happy to also issue you with the ICC for sail craft up to 24m (subject to RYA licence fee).
The ICC is available to UK, Canada and US citizens and residents. It is also available to citizens of non UN nations.
Recommended Pre-Course Reading and Useful Books:
The dates below denote the first morning of the nine day course; accommodation will be provided onboard a training yacht from the Wednesday of your course week onwards. If the dates below do not suit you, please contact us on 02380 231122, as we may be able to make alternative arrangements.
Is this course for me?
Wondering if this is the course for you? The RYA Day Skipper Sail is one of the most popular sailing courses we run and is aimed at intermediate level sailors. If you want to be qualified to skipper a cruising yacht in familiar waters by day and would like to combine your practical and theory training, then this course is undoubtedly the best option for you.
Many people find that they benefit from being able to put into practice the theory they have just learnt on a training yacht, without any lapses in time. The combined course is also a more convenient way to learn, being run over two consecutive weekends and only one week away from work.
If you are unsure as to whether the RYA Combined Day Skipper course is the right course for you, please don't hesitate to contact a course advisor to discuss. Telephone 023 8023 1122 or complete the online enquiry form on this page.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
Stormforce Coaching is a family run business with a strong ethos committed to delivering the best quality training courses. We want you to learn and get the skills you sign up for, but we also want you to have fun.
We've been in the business for over a decade and know what works best. We have a team of highly specialised Instructors on our full time staff, meaning we do not have to rely on external contractors and can offer our customers a consistently high quality course. It doesn't matter which course you book onto or on which date: you will be guaranteed to receive the best level of training possible.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More