MCA/RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Sail
The Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence and Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence preparation courses are both run together as they have so much in common. The package consists of a five day preparation course run back to back with a two day exam. Whilst the syllabus for each is very similar, the Yachtmaster Offshore candidate is required to have logged more sea time and will be pushed harder in the exam. The key benefit of running the two courses in parallel is that students who are unsure which level to pitch themselves at can start the week undecided and choose part way through which exam to opt for. The external examiner will not know which exam you are each taking until he/she meets you.
At Stormforce Coaching, we run the preparation courses for these two exams slightly differently from most other sea schools. We restrict the total number of students to four (rather than five) per course. This means you will get more practice at boat handling, more time at the chart table navigating, as well as more opportunities to take command as skipper. Additionally, we do not mix our exam candidates with our non-exam students just to fill our boat up. It is unfair on you if you have to sit through Competent Crew and Day Skipper Students learning how to tack, gybe, hoist sails and take a 3 point fix (it’s unfair on them as well).
We believe it is vital that everyone onboard has the same focus and the same goal for the week. We find that our exam crews bond very quickly as they will be crewing for each other in the exam. We have maintained a pass rate of over 98% for these prestigious exams.
We understand that exams are stressful and we like to reduce as much pressure as possible. We learnt a long time ago that there is no point in someone going for an exam they are not ready for. For that reason, we have tried to take away a financial pressure. If you get part way through the preparation week and you and your instructor do not feel that you are ready for the exam, we are happy to hold the weekend credit for you for up to six months. This does not mean we will provide a second free preparation week, but it does mean you will not have to pay again for the yacht charter, food and diesel components of the exam and so on. Once you are ready, you can re-book either a whole preparation week at a reduced rate or just the exam for free.
Simple. This course aims to work with you to ensure you pass your exam. The five day preparation not only familiarises you with the boat, the Solent and the crew, but also looks at exam techniques and polishes any rusty skills.
The first five days are spent with our instructor coaching you onboard. On afternoon five, the instructor will step off and an external examiner will step on. The next two days are then devoted to your exam.
- SEATIME (of which at least 50% is logged in tidal waters)
- 50 days sail cruising (at least 50% on board vessels between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- 2,500 miles logged (at least 50% on board vessels between 7 LWL and 24m LOA)
- QUALIFYING PASSAGES (on board vessel between 7m LWL and 24m LOA)
- 5 passages of 60 miles or more
- 2 of those passage as skipper
- 2 of those passages being overnight
- 5 passages of 60 miles or more
The preparation part of the week is intended to act as a refresher on pilotage, boat handling, safety, skippering and passage planning. In particular, skills like blind navigation, sailing onto mooring buoys, night pilotage and MOB procedure will be covered.
During the exam candidates will be set tasks to demonstrate their ability as a Yachtmaster and will be asked questions on any part of the syllabus for all practical and shorebased courses up to Yachtmaster (Coastal or Offshore as appropriate).
- 5 days of coaching
- Use of the yacht for 5 days
- Hire of the yacht for the exam (up to a further two days)
- Gas and diesel for the full 7 days
- Accommodation onboard
- Meals, drinks and snacks on-board
- Loan of a life jacket
- Free Parking ( subject to terms & conditions )
What's Not Included:
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Exam Fee (paid to the examiner on the day)
- Hire of foul weather gear (£5 per day, if required)
- Berthing fees, away from the home port
- One evening meal (eaten ashore)
The dates below denote the first day of the one week preparation and exam; the courses start at 0900 on the first morning.
If these dates do not suit, please contact us as we may be able to make alternative arrangements.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More