RORC Fastnet Campaign 2017
After the massive success of our 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015 Campaigns, our 2017 RORC Fastnet Campaign is now open for bookings
ARE YOU READY FOR THE CHALLENGE?
It only comes round once every other year and is renowned as one of the yachting calendar's most exhilarating and toughest races: yes, planning is well underway for the Rolex Fastnet Race 2017. It may seem a while away, but we're taking bookings for the 2017 Fastnet Race already; if you would like to join a winning team then read on. The Royal Ocean Racing Club's (RORC) famous race takes a 609 mile course from Cowes on the Isle of Wight towards the Fastnet Rock off Southwest Ireland, before going round the rock and heading back to the finish line in Plymouth. This is a race with a lot of history and one that requires every ounce of each team members' energy and commitment in order to achieve a good result: when was the last time you really pushed yourself?
At Stormforce Coaching, our Fastnet package includes more than simply entry into a standard race campaign. Our Fastnet package is not just the Fastnet race; it is a full offshore race training campaign. With over 1,700 miles of offshore sailing, five offshore races and three training weekends, this is a great opportunity to learn new skills and accomplish personal goals whilst challenging yourself to the very limits. The Stormforce Coaching Fastnet Campaign is different to those offered by many standard charter companies and sea schools. Ours is not an opportunity for passengers to be able to say that they have taken part in the famous Fastnet regatta: as a team, we will be competing in one of the most demanding yacht races in the world and we need crew who are ready for the challenge. To join us, you do not need to have a long sailing or racing background: we are looking for team members who are enthusiastic, motivated and committed. Experience, qualifications and racing skills are not a pre-requisite. At Stormforce Coaching, full training is provided and keen team players of any ability are welcome. This is a campaign that combines fun with comprehensive learning and genuine racing knowledge.
This page is for the 'Buy a Berth' package, which is for people looking to buy individual places onboard one of our yachts for this campaign (or 2-3 places). We also offer whole boat charter for teams looking to hire an entire boat plus skipper.
As a company, Stormforce Coaching first raced in the 2003 Fastnet race and went on to enter two teams into the 2005 race. In 2007, our Chief Instructor skippered a sailing school crew to victory with a win in class and the team was one of only 50 boats that finished (from 300 starters). More recently, in the 2011 campaign, one of our two entries was the best-placed sea school/charter yacht in class and our second entry was the second best placed sea school/charter yacht in her class, beating many full time race teams. We have refined our product over these previous campaigns and, after making a few tweaks following each campaign, we continue to follow our proven formula. The comprehensive Stormforce Coaching Fastnet campaign consists of two days of shorebased training, six weekends of sail training and entry into pre-qualifying races between June and September (as well as the race week itself in August!) The campaign has been designed to allow crew to take part in all the events, whilst taking as little time off work as possible; training and most events take place over weekends.
As part of the Stormforce Coaching Fastnet Campaign, you will have the chance to compete in five offshore races, including the RORC Morgan Cup, RORC St Malo Race, RORC Channel Race, RORC Cherbourg Race and, of course, the RORC Fastnet Race itself. We know that many other sailing schools and charter companies include only two or three qualifying races as part of their Fastnet packages. We choose to include five races in addition to the Fastnet, so that our teams will attain a RORC series result as well as a Fastnet Race result.
So, are you ready to come racing with us?
- Two days shorebased training taken between now and the 2017 Fastnet race AND
- Six weekends spread throughout June to September 2017 (two or three of these may be long weekends, i.e. three days) AND
- A week in August
Each crew member will come to the campaign with different experience: we must emphasise that we are not looking for a team of 'old hands' but would prefer a cross section of abilities and experience. You should, however, have:
- A minimum of five days and two nights experience onboard a yacht
- A minimum of 200 miles experience aboard a sailing yacht
- A minimum of having crewed two sailing races (can be dinghy or yacht)
- RYA Competent Crew or higher level certificate or equivalent experience
- Commitment to the campaign and an eagerness to learn
All prospective crew must discuss their experience and ambitions with our Principal before booking. It is important that we ensure you are making the right decision before you book on to this campaign.
Training Weekend One (2-4 June 2017) Meet the skipper and the rest of the crew on Friday evening (2 June) for a packed weekend. This is our chance for the crew to get to know each other and the yacht.
RORC Morgan Cup (9-11 June 2017)This is our first offshore race of the campaign and the destination is St Peers Port, Guernsey. This will be a 100-160 mile course and the start line is off Cowes. We meet on the Friday evening and we aim to return to Southampton for the Sunday afternoon, although the wind gods will dictate our return time.
RORC Cowes to St. Malo Race (7-9 July 2017) Our second race of the campaign is also spread over a weekend and aside from the Fastnet Race is the longest course at 175 miles. This will require a day off work on the Friday (7th July) as we meet Friday morining and race that day. The return passage back to Southampton will almost double your mileage for the weekend.
Training Weekend Two (14-16 July 2017) With an evening seminar on the Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday will be devoted to race training afloat, specifically looking at trim and boat speed. Accommodation is provided onboard.
RORC Channel Race (21-23 July 2017) Our third race weekend of the campaign is the final time we sail together before the Fastnet Race itself. Crew meet on Friday evening, with race start on the Saturday morning, we will be back on Sunday. The race is likely to last beween 24 and 36 hours and will be around marks set offshore in the English Channel.
Training Weekend Three - ISAF Shorebased training weekend - (we run three or four courses a month, so choose a date that suits you). Life raft and sea survival training takes place in the pool on Saturday. Heavy weather tactics are covered on the Sunday morning and lessons learnt from the Fastnet and Sydney Hobart disasters are covered on Sunday afternoon.
Fastnet Prep Day (5 August 2017) Crew meet Saturday morning for a day of final preparation with a crew meal ashore and early night before the big race.
RORC Fastnet Race (6-10 August 2017) The race starts Sunday from Cowes. 609 miles later we will have rounded the Fastnet Rock (Ireland) and fought our way to the finish line at Plymouth.
RORC Cherbourg Race (1-3 September 2017) While many teams will wrap their season up after the Fastnet Race the serious teams will continue their Campaign with this final race of the season. Our fifth race is really intended to improve our points in the 2017 RORC series.
*Please be aware that exact race dates and start times have not yet been annnounced by RORC.
- Five Royal Ocean Racing Club (RORC) Offshore races (1,700 miles minimum)*
- Three training weekends (two afloat, one ashore, 200 miles minimum)
- RYA Sea Survival Training and Certification
- RYA ISAF Offshore Race Crew Training and Certification
- Campaign Management
- Experienced racing skipper and mate
- Training from an Olympic coach
- All meals, drinks and snacks onboard
- All berthing fees
- Race entry fees and onboard expenses (diesel, gas etc)
- Free Parking at Shamrock Quay Marina ( Subject to terms & conditions )
- Welcome dinner ashore at RSYC on the first evening
- Team Stormforce Polo Shirt
- Team Stormforce Fastnet Jacket
- RORC Fastnet 2017 Polo Shirt
* Be aware that most other sailing school/charter companies only include two or three qualifying races plus the Fastnet Race. This does not allow their team to attain a reasonable result in the series as they will be a race or two short. Our approach of four races plus the Fastnet means we have a chance of a podium position in the RORC series result as well as a Fastnet race result.
What's Not Included:
- Sailing boots/footwear
- Wet weather gear (can be hired for £70 for the whole campaign)
- Meals ashore (except the first evening, which is included)
- Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) - required
- Return passage from Plymouth after the Fastnet Race
A 25% booking deposit secures your place
Between now and the 2017 Fastnet the Campaign fees will steadily increase. The sooner crew sign up the better the price they will pay.
To read about the History of the RORC Fastnet race click here.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
- With 5 offshore races and 3 training weekends our package is more comprehensive than most
- We have been a market leader in this field for over a decade
- 2007 - 1st in division & 1 of only 50 finishers (out of 300 yachts) RORC Fastnet Race
- 2011 - 1st sea school yact in IRC4 for every race we entered in the whole series
- 2011 - 1st F40.7 in RORC Myth of Malham Race
- 2013 - 1st F40.7 & 2nd in class RORC Myth of Malham Race
- 2013 - 1st UK yacht in IRC to round Fastnet Rock
- 2013 - 1st F40.7, 2nd sea school yacht & 10th in class RORC Fastnet Race
- 2013 - 1st F40.7, 1st sea school yacht & 3rd in class RORC Cherbourg Race
- 2015 - 2nd First 40 in the RORC Channel Race
- 2015 - 3rd in class in the RORC Cervantes Tophy Race
- 2015 - 1st & 3rd sea school boats in class RORC Morgan Cup
- 2015 - 2nd & 3rd sea school boats in class RORC St Malo Race
- 2015 - 1st & 2nd sea school boats in class RORC Channel Race
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More
Doug, gives us his 7 top tips for getting your diesel engine ready for winter!More