Round The Island Race 2017
The Annual Round the Island Race is the biggest event in the yachting calendar. With sometimes over 1800 boats competing, it is one of the most famous yacht races in the world. The course takes you around the Isle of Wight, dodging the various off-lying rocks and other competitors along the way. The race starts and finishes at Cowes, after racing for about 60 miles.
Stormforce Coaching will be entering multiple yachts into the 2017 race. We are confident that with our experienced racing skippers and enthusiastic teams on board, they will once again be well placed to achieve an excellent finishing position. Whether you have racing experience or not, you can be part of that team and enjoy the thrill of the sail. This page is for the 'Buy a Berth' package, which is for people looking to buy individual places onboard one of our yachts for this campaign (or 2-3 places). We also offer whole boat charter for teams looking to hire an entire boat plus skipper.
While the race itself takes place over one day, this is traditionally a three-day package. Friday is training day, where we get to know the boats and each other. We'll practice sail handling, tacking, hoisting/dropping the spinnaker and gybing. Our racing skippers will run through the strategy and tactics that we'll need to take advantage of a best course on all points of sail. We spend Friday night in Hamble.
Starting guns are early on Saturday morning and once we're off it's about 60 miles to the finish line. We'll moor overnight in Cowes and soak up the party atmosphere that engulfs the town for the weekend. After a leisurely "full English" ashore on Sunday morning, we'll sail back to Southampton.
This duration refers to the standard crew 'buy a berth' position, rather than bareboat charter.
- You will be with us for 3 days, as follows:
- 30 June - Training Day (meet at 0930 for a race tactics briefing ashore, sail all day, dinner ashore in Hamble, sleep aboard)
- 1 July - Race Day (early race start, 60 NM race, evening in Cowes, sleep aboard)
- 2 July - Sail back (breakfast ashore, sail back to Southampton, finish lunch time)
- Entry into the Round The Island Race on Saturday
- Training Day on the Friday
- Leisurely cruise back to Southampton on Sunday morning
- Racing Skipper and Mate
- Two nights accommodation on board the yacht
- All race entry fees and berthing fees
- Lunch and snacks on Friday & Satuday; breakfast on Saturday
- General boat expenses (berthing, diesel, gas etc.)
- 'Team Stormforce' crew shirt to wear for the race and take home as a souvenir.
The above refers to what is included in the standard 'buy a berth' package and differs from what is included in the bareboat charter option for this race.
What's Not Included:
- Evening meals
- Breakfast ashore on Sunday
- Wet weather gear (this is available to hire for £5/day, if necessary)
If you have a team of friends or work colleagues who want to book a full boat to compete in the race, there are several yachts to choose from:
- 'Palpatine', Stimson 42
- 'Storm Trooper', Jeanneau Sunfast 37
- 'Jedi Knight', Jeaneau Sunfast 37
- 'Padme', Hanse 350
- 'Naboo', Sun Odyssey 32
- One of our 3 SB20s
We can still provide a full package and tailor it to your requirements. To discuss a full boat package please contact us.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More