Round The Island Race 2017
The Annual Round the Island Race is the biggest event in the yachting calendar globally. With somet years having as many as 2,000 boats competing, it is one of the most famous yacht races in the world. The course takes you around the Isle of Wight, dodging the various off-lying rocks and other competitors along the way. The race starts and finishes at Cowes, after racing for about 60 miles.
Stormforce Coaching will be entering multiple yachts into the 2017 race. We are confident that with our experienced racing skippers and enthusiastic teams on board, they will once again be well placed to achieve an excellent finishing position. Whether you have racing experience or not, you can be part of that team and enjoy the thrill of the sail. Each year we enter a mixture of teams. Some crew come to us as individuals (and you can book this option below). If you have a ready made team and are interested in a whole boat yacht charter with skipper then please get in touch, email@example.com to discuss details
While the race itself takes place over one day, this is traditionally a three-day package. Friday is training day, where we get to know the boats and each other. We'll practice sail handling, tacking, hoisting/dropping the spinnaker and gybing. Our racing skippers will run through the strategy and tactics that we'll need to take advantage of a best course on all points of sail. We spend Friday night in Hamble.
Starting guns are early on Saturday morning and once we're off it's about 60 miles to the finish line. We'll moor overnight in Cowes and soak up the party atmosphere that engulfs the town for the weekend. After a leisurely "full English" ashore on Sunday morning, we'll sail back to Southampton.
This duration refers to the standard crew 'buy a berth' position, rather than whole boat skippered or bareboat charter.
- You will be with us for 3 days, as follows:
- 30 June 2017 - Training Day (meet at 0930 for a race tactics briefing ashore, sail all day, dinner ashore in Hamble, sleep aboard)
- 1 July 2017 - Race Day (early race start, 60 NM race, evening in Cowes, sleep aboard)
- 2 July 2017 - Sail back (breakfast ashore, sail back to Southampton, finish lunch time)
- Minimum age 18 or accompanied by an adult
- Basic sailing ability (know points of sail, basic sail trim and can handle lines/winches)
- Eagerness to win
BAREBOAT CHARTER BOOKINGS
- Hand over from Friday morning
- Round the Island Race Day on Saturday
- Handback on Saturday evening or Sunday
- Race ready yacht with clean hull and IRC, ISC or class Rating
- Regatta insurance
- Tea, coffee, cleaning products etc. (not on open keelboats)
- Gas (not on open keelboats)
- Two nights accommodation on board,(not on open keelboats)
- Loan of a life jacket each
WHOLE BOAT SKIPPERED CHARTER BOOKINGS
- Everything in the above bareboat package plus
- Experienced racing skipper or Owner's representative
- Training/practice day on the Friday
- Leisurely cruise back to Southampton on Sunday morning
- Crew shirt each to wear for the event and take home as a momento
INDIVIDUAL BERTH BOOKINGS
- Everything in the bareboat and whole boat charter packages above plus;
- Experienced first mate onboard
- Berthing in Hamble on Friday and Cowes on Saturday
- Event Entry Fees for the Round The Island Race on Saturday
- Lunch onboard Friday and Saturday, Breakfast on Saturday and soft srinks/snacks throughout
What's Not Included:
- Evening meals
- Breakfast ashore on Sunday
- Wet weather gear (this is available to hire for £5/day, if necessary)
If you have a team of friends or work colleagues who want to book a full boat to compete in the race, there are several yachts to choose from:
- 'Palpatine', Stimson 42
- 'Rebel', Jeanneau SO 389
- 'Jedi Knight', Jeaneau Sunfast 37
- 'Padme', Hanse 350
- 'Naboo', Sun Odyssey 32
- 'Rogue One', J/80
- One of our 4 SB20s
We can still provide a full package and tailor it to your requirements. To discuss a full boat package please contact us.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
Racing is about results, here are ours for this event.
- 1st sea school yacht, ISC, 3rd in class & 20th overall Round the Island Race 2016 (Storm Trooper)
- 1st sea school yacht ISC, 3rd in class & 26th overall Round the Island Race 2015 (Storm Trooper)
- 1st Jeaneau '37 across all classes Round the Island Race 2015 (Storm Trooper)
- 1st sea school yacht IRC0 Round the Island Race 2015 (Palpatine)
- 1st SB20 class Round the Island Race 2015 (Attack of the Clones)
- 1st in class Round the Island Race 2014 (Juno IV)
- 1st sea school yacht ISC & 5th in class Round the Island Race 2014 (Storm Trooper)
- 3rd sea school yacht ISC & 6th in class Round the Island Race 2014 (Jedi Knight)
- 2nd & 3rd Jeanneau '37s across all classes Round the Island Race 2014 (Storm Trooper & Jedi Knight)
- 1st sea school yacht ISC & 3rd in class Round the Island Race 2013 (Jedi Knight)
- 2nd F40.7 Round the Island Race 2013 (Rafiki)
- 1st sea school yacht ISC & 4th in class Round the Island Race 2012 (Storm Trooper)
- 4th F40.7 Round the Island Race 2012 (Rafiki)
- 1st sea school yacht ISC Round the Island Race 2011 (Jedi Knight)
- 1st sea school yacht ISC Round the Island Race 2010 (Jedi Knight)
- 2nd sea school yacht IRC Round the Island Race 2009 (Intuition)
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More