Round The Island Race 2013
The Annual Round the Island Race is the biggest event in the Yachting calendar. With over 1800 boats competing, it is one of the most famous races in the world. The course takes you around the Isle of Wight, dodging the various off-lying rocks and other competitors along the way. The race starts and finishes at Cowes, after racing for about 60 miles.
Stormforce Coaching will be entering five yachts into the 2013 race (First 40.7, Elan 40, 2 Sunfast 37s and a Hanse 350). We are confident that with our experienced racing skippers and enthusiastic teams onboard, they will once again be well placed to achieve an excellent finishing position.
Whether you have racing experience or not, you can be part of that team and enjoy the thrill of the sail.
This is traditionally a three-day package. Friday is training day, where we get to know the boats and each other. We'll practice sail handling, tacking, hoisting/dropping the spinnaker and gybing. Our racing skippers will run through the strategy and tactics that we'll need to take advantage of a best course on all points of sail.
Starting guns are early on Saturday morning and once we're off it's about 60 miles to the finish line. We'll moor overnight in Cowes and soak up the party atmosphere that engulfs the town for the weekend. After a leisurely "full English" ashore on Sunday morning, we'll sail back to Southampton.
If, however, you would prefer to charter an entire boat, rather than a single crew berth, this option is also available. If you have a group of friends who are keen racers, contact us to dicuss your options for bareboat charter (hiring one of our coded yachts for race entry without a skipper onboard). You and your friends could be competing against Team Stormforce this year!
This duration refers to the standard crew 'buy a berth' position, rather than bareboat charter.
- You will be with us for 3 days, as follows:
- 31 May - Training Day (meet at 0930, sail all day, dinner in Hamble or Cowes, sleep aboard)
- 1 June - Race Day (early race start, 60 NM race, evening in Cowes, sleep aboard)
- 2 June - Sail back to Southampton (breakfast ashore, sail back to Southampton, finish early afternoon)
- The Round The Island Race on the Saturday.
- Training Day on the Friday.
- Leisurely cruise back to the Southampton on Sunday morning.
- Racing Skipper and Mate.
- Two nights accommodation on board.
- All race entry fees and berthing fees.
- Lunch and snacks all three days and breakfast on Saturday.
- General boat expenses (berthing, diesel, gas etc.).
- Team Stormforce crew shirt to wear for the race and take home as a souvenier.
The above refers to what is included in the standard 'buy a berth' package and differs from what is included in the bareboat charter option for this race.
What's Not Included:
- Evening meals
- Breakfast ashore on Sunday
- Wet weather gear (hire for £5/day)
If you have a team of friends or work colleagues who want to book a full boat to compete in the race, there are several yachts to choose from:
- Cheeki Rafiki, Beneteau First 40.7
- Storm Trooper, Jeaneau Sunfast 37
- Jedi Knight, Jeaneau Sunfast 37
- Padme, Hanse 350
- Libeccio, Elan 40
- Vader, Cork 1720
We can still provide a full package and tailor it to your requirements. To discuss a full boat package please contact us.
Individual Person Price: £550
Please call the office on 02380 231 122 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to book this course.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
Great Race Results from the RORC Cervantes Trophy as the 2013 RORC Fastnet campaign gets underwayMore
- Now recruiting for the Stormforce Coaching Internship programme beginning September 2013... More
- 1st place race results to shout about! More
- Stormforce Students' Shackleton Epic Adventure Success! More