RORC Round Britain & Ireland 2018
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a committed racing team and take part in the coveted RORC Round Britain and Ireland (RBI) Race 2018. This is the longest and toughest offshore race in the UK and was last sailed in 2014; the prestigious event only occurs every four years. To date, there have only ever been five non-stop, RORC RBI races, so to say you've raced in one is a massive achievement.
At Stormforce Coaching, the Round Britain and Ireland race package is a fully crewed, skippered event. Starting and finishing in the Solent, our team will race clockwise around the entire British Isles and Ireland without stopping, covering about 2,500 miles in total. The diverse international fleet we compete against will attract seasoned RORC members as well as less experienced sailors. The RBI race is a 'Must' for serious offshore sailors and is regarded as a real challenge.
RORC (Royal Ocean Racing Club) is most famous for hosting the classic Fastnet Race every two years. During non-Fastnet years, RORC organises various alternative long distance races. For 2018, it's the big one, the RBI. Many charter companies offer places onboard high profile events such as the RORC Fastnet. However, only the elite few companies have the experience, yachts and staff required to undertake the challenge of the Round Britain and Ireland race. 2018 will mark our 4th consecutive RBI involvement. In the last two RBI races (2010 and 2014), only one other sea school even made it to the start line. In 2006, our Principal and his team aboard 'Chieftain' won the race in class and overall.
For such a challenging offshore race campaign, there are some pre-requisites:
- Minimum age 18
- 900+ Miles of offshore racing experience, (ideally a Fastnet campaign or similar)
- RYA Sea Survival
- ISAF Offshore Safety
Crew should understand that this is the toughest offshore race we compete in. The RBI will push you to the limits, for that reason every crew member is interviewed by our Principal before being accepted onto the team. Interview can be by phone or face to face.
Training Weekend - 15-17 June -Welcome on the Friday night (15th). Race training throughout the weekend. Accomadation on board.
Cowes Dinard St. Malo Race - 13-15 July 2018 - A weekend offshore race, meeting on the Friday morning with the intention to be back for Sunday afternoon. The actual race start Friday afternoon and is 164 miles. The return passage is slightly shorter as you will sail back directly (through the Channel Islands).
Channel Race - 27-29 July 2018 - Meet on board on the Friday evening, the crew will cross the start line Saturday morning and race for about 30 hours into Sunday.
RORC Round Britain & Ireland - Crew meet Saturday 11 August 2018 for final preparations. Weather and tactics briefings take place Saturday evening. Race starts Sunday 12 August from Cowes. 2,500 miles (12-14 days) later we will have raced non-stop around the entire British Isles and be back in the Solent.
Dates are subject to change by RORC
This comprehensive racing package includes:
- Campaign management
- Experienced racing skipper and mate
- All meals, drinks and snacks onboard
- Race entry fees and onboard expenses (berthing, diesel, gas etc)
- Loan of a life jacket
- Team shirt
What's Not Included:
- Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) - Required
If you are interested, the first step is to discuss the race, and your suitability, with our Principal.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
At Stormforce Coaching, we have an impressive pedigree when it comes to racing. There are a few facts that, we think, make us stand out from the crowd:
- Our campaign manager Doug, won this race in 2006 in class and overall (Chieftain)
- Despite the fact that several sea schools will advertise this race, only one other sea school and ourselves made it to the 2010 and the 2014 start lines, we will again be one of the few that actually makes it to the 2018 RBI start line
- There are too many results to list here but our offshore teams have multiple podium finishes
Please call the office on 02380 231 122 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to make a booking.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More