ARC Trans Atlantic Race 2017
In November 2017, 250 yachts will set sail from Las Palmas in Gran Canaria to participate in the world famous Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC). This is the biggest trans-ocean rally or race in the world. Among them will be two fleets, a racing fleet and a cruising fleet. Within the racing fleet will be our team.
Taking advantage of the North East Trade Winds and sailing across the tropics, the ARC is one of the most civilised ways of crossing the Atlantic Ocean. The 2,700 mile race is something most sailors only dream of. Leave the cold nights and winter weather behind in the UK as you sail non-stop through the tropics from the Canary Islands to St Lucia in the Caribbean. This will surely be one of the most memorable events of your life.
This page is for the 'Buy a Berth' package, which is for people looking to buy individual places onboard one of our race yachts for this event (or 2-3 places). We also offer whole boat charter for teams looking to charter an entire boat plus skipper.
The Stormforce Coaching ARC package includes a 6 day preparation and training course in Gran Canaria, run back to back with the ARC itself. Passage/race time is expected to be under three weeks and may be as short as two weeks.
- Minimum age 18
- Minimum of 30 days yachting experience, to include
- Overnight offshore sailing
- Sailing in watch patterns
- Spinnaker use
- RYA Sea Survival Course (one day course run from Southampton)
Training Week in Las Palmas
- Monday Afternoon / Evening - Crew meet / Welcome Dinner ashore
- Tuesday- Friday Sail Training, ISAF training and ARC Seminars
- Saturday - Final Preperation
- Sunday Race Start
- A week of pre event training and passage preparation in the Canaries onboard the yacht
- ISAF Offshore Safety Course taught onboard in the Canaries
- Professional skipper
- All meals onboard for the duration of the ARC
- All onboard expenses
- Race entry fees
- Entry to the ARC seminars and parties
- Team shirt
What's Not Included:
- Meals in port
- Holiday / travel insurance
- Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) - required
There are up to two spaces on board available for aspiring Ocean Yachtmaster candidates, you may use this race as your qualifying passage for the Yachtmaster Ocean Exam. Our Instructor will expect you to take an active role in the passage planning and will help you work through the astro-navigation whilst on board. There is no extra charge for this option but places are limited, as we cannot have an entire boat full of watch leaders!
We strongly recommend you do not book onward travel/fights until the vessel has reached it’s destination as there is always a possibility of early arrival or delays due to weather.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
- In the 2016 ARC, we came 5th in our division and were the highest placed sea school yacht across all racing divisions
- In the 2011 ARC we came 4th in our racing division; we were the first F40.7 (4 others) and beat all of the other charter campaigns (numerous others).
- Despite various sea schools marketing this product in 2011, Stormforce Coaching was the only RYA Training Centre to make it to the start line.
- In 2012 our Principal's boat (Quokka 8) came 2nd in it's racing division
- In 2013 we enlisted the help of an external weather router for the ARC race, something we continue to do every year
- We limit the total crew to ten (including skipper), once the crew is broken down into watches this crew size ensures everybody on board gets the opportunity to take an active role in sailing and has some degree of comfort off watch
- We have a thorough training programme in Gran Canaria during the preparation week.
- We have a 100% pass rate for Ocean practical candidates.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More