RYA Day Skipper Shorebased
Whether you are new to yachting or motorboating or have a bit more crewing experience, if your aim is to become a skipper then RYA Day Skipper training is what you're looking for. The RYA Day Skipper shorebased course (sometimes known as the RYA Day Skipper theory course) is the ideal starting point for aspiring skippers, either motor or sail, and is a classroom based introduction to navigation and seamanship. The Day Skipper shorebased course aims to provide students with sufficient knowledge to enable them to navigate around familiar tidal and non tidal waters by day and prepares students for progression onto either a RYA Day Skipper Sail Practical, RYA Day Skipper Power Practical or RYA Intermediate Powerboat course.
The RYA Day Skipper shorebased course with Stormforce Coaching isn't all about gaining qualifications, though. Yes, our five day or thirteen evening theory course will equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills, but it is also about having fun and meeting likeminded people.
The RYA Day Skipper theory course traditionally takes five days to complete. We offer the course in a variety of different formats, allowing you to choose the option that best suits you from the following:
- Five consecutive days usually starting on a Saturday or a Monday
- Two separate weekend sessions; the first weekend incorporating Saturday to Monday, the second weekend covering Saturday to Sunday
- Night School; attend once a week for thirteen evenings (18.30 to 21.40) during the winter months.
- As part of the nine day (consecutive) Day Skipper Combined Shorebased and Practical Course (0930 Saturday to 1600 the following Sunday.) If combining the practical and shorebased elements of the day skipper training, one day is lost from the classroom part of the course, giving students more time on the water. This is an increasingly popular option for students wanting to complete their Day Skipper training in one go.
- We also offer the option of completing the course online with Nav At Home as we understand that some people may not be able to afford the time to attend the course. The Day Skipper Shorebased E-Learning course takes 40-50 hours to complete and can be undertaken at your own pace, over a period of up to 6 months. This online course is delivered by Nav at Home and support is provided by our Instructors
The Day Skipper Shorebased classroom based courses are held at our training centre in Southampton.
The Day Skipper theory course is suitable for beginners and as such there are no specified requirements. However, many aspiring Skippers do already have at least a couple of days experience crewing aboard a sailing or motor yacht and this is preferable wherever possible.
Course materials are provided and posted by Stormforce Coaching. Online content and hosting for any relevant sections of this course is by Navathome and most importantly ongoing support is provided by Stormforce Coaching Instructors. For all bookings Stormforce Coaching's Standard terms and conditions apply. For online courses Nav at Home's terms and conditions apply.
The Day Skipper Shorebased course is essentially a navigation course for beginners wanting to progress to Skipper level (either sail or power). The RYA syllabus is designed to introduce students to:
- Basic seamanship
- A basic knowledge of lights
When taking a RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Theory course with Stormforce Coaching, students will have the opportunity to use the real kit; our classroom is kitted out with live Garmin GPS chart plotters and we integrate traditional (paper chart) navigation with the more modern electronic navigation throughout the course.
Day Skipper training at Stormforce Coaching is comprehensive. We aim to make life as easy as possible for our students and provide the following within the course:
- Two RYA Training Charts
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Handbook
- RYA Day Skipper Exercises publication
- RYA Electronic Chart Plotter (for PC or Mac)
- Use of plotter and dividers whilst at the training centre
- Phone and email support for online students
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate
What's Not Included:
If you are attending the night school option, you will need to bring your own plotter and dividers. (Students on the 5-day and split weekend courses will be able to borrow ours).
Recommended Pre-Course Reading and Useful Books:
Simply choose wether you prefer the five day course, weekends, night school or the online Day Skipper Course then book below! We run the course regularly from our centre in Southampton.
If you cannot find suitable dates from the list below, please do contact us as we may be able to arrange a more convenient time for you to attend the course.
We can also offer the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Course 1:1 for those that would prefer. Please telephone our course adviser on 023 8023 1122 to discuss.
Is this course for me?
Still wondering if this is the right course for you? The RYA Day Skipper shorebased course is suitable for a wide range of people, from beginners to those with a bit more experience hoping to become certified Skippers. Some people's aim is simply to be able to skipper a yacht or motorboat for fun, others look to use the skills and knowledge as a vehicle for their sport or job. If you want to progress onto a Day Skipper practical course, this course is the starting point.
If you are unsure as to whether the Day Skipper Shorebased is suitable for you, please don't hesitate to contact one of our Course Advisors to discuss your options in detail on 02380 231122.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
Stormforce Coaching is a family run business with a strong commitment to delivering the best quality training courses. We want you to learn and get the skills you sign up for, but we also want you to have fun.
We've been in the business for over a decade and a half and know what works best. We have a team of highly qualified, specialist Instructors on our full time staff, meaning we do not have to rely on external contractors and we can offer our students a consistently high quality course. It doesn't matter which course you book onto or on which date: you will be guaranteed to receive the best level of training possible.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Buy this course as a gift voucher, for you or someone else!
To buy this course as a gift voucher, please complete the booking process below.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More