RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased
To advance your navigation skills and learn the principles of navigation and passage planning for coastal and offshore passages. It is aimed at those who will go on to attend an Advanced Powerboat, Coastal Skipper Power, Yachtmaster Power, Coastal Skipper Sail or Yachtmaster Sail Prep Week course and is totally classroom based.
We run this course in three different formats, so you can choose the one that suits you.
- Our most popular option is the six-day course. We run this course regularly and it typically runs Sunday to Friday
- Alternatively you can take the course over fifteen evenings of Night School (1830 to 2135 each week)
- For those who are not local to us there is an online Yachtmaster Shorebased Course.
Each variation of the RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Shorebased course can be booked at the bottom of this page.
This is an advanced course in navigation, students should-
- Hold RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate (or have equivalent knowledge). If you haven't passed the Day Skipper course but believe you have the necessary knowledge, why not try our Day Skipper quiz to test yourself?
- Have some experience of putting the above knowledge into practice.
- Have a working knowledge of the IRPCS
- If you have not already then we "recommend" you also take the Short Range Certificate.
Course materials are provided (posted out for the online course). Online content and hosting for any relevant sections of this course is by Navathome and most importantly ongoing support is provided by Stormforce Coaching Instructors. Stormforce Coaching’s standard terms and conditions apply
Prior to the course we send out some Collision Regulations to be learnt in advance. On arrival or when you book the onine course you will receive the RYA Yachtmaster pack and handbook. Three assessment papers are included. Students will also receive the details to access the online chart plotter and run a number of sessions using our live Garmin GPS Chart plotters.
The three assessment papers cover collision regulations, chart-work and meteorology. In addition to these subjects the course also covers safety equipment, stability, electronic navigation, sailing abroad and skippers responsibilities. At the end of the course your instructor will give you a full debrief.
Get a quick heads, up by watching Stormforce Instructor, "Adie, discussing a more advanced course to steer technique how-to:
RYA Yachtmaster training at Stormforce Coaching is comprehensive. We aim to make life as easy as possible for our students and provide the following within the course:
- 2 RYA Training Charts
- RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Handbook
- RYA Yachtmaster Exercises publication
- RYA Electronic Chart Plotter (for PC or Mac)
- Use of plotter, dividors and training allmanac whilst at the training centre*
- RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Certificate
* students attending night school will need to purchase a plotter, dividors and a training almanac on the first evening as we are unable to lend these items
What's Not Included:
Booking options for the 6-day, evening classes and online course are all shown below.
If the dates below do not suit you please let us know. It may be we can offer something else, particularly if you are booking several months in advance.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More