RYA Ocean Shorebased
To learn the the art of “Astro Navigation” and the key concepts of planning Ocean Passages. This is an advanced navigation course aimed at Blue Water sailors, anyone crossing the Atlantic (or other Oceans), Super Yacht Deck Officers and Commercial Yacht Skippers planning on operating more than 150NM from a safe haven.
- Five days in the classroom. Available dates can be found at the bottom of this page.
- Night school - one evening a week for thirteen weeks from November to February. Dates and online booking are also at the bottom of the page
- We also offer this course online. Allow 40-50 hours of study time.
Candidates should have navigation, passage planning and meteorology knowledge up to RYA Yachtmaster Offshore level and have some practical experience of putting this knowledge into practice.
Course materials are provided and posted by Stormforce Coaching. Online content and hosting for any relevant sections of this course is by Navathome and most importantly ongoing support is provided by Stormforce Coaching Instructors. Stormforce Coaching’s standard terms and conditions apply
The course covers celestial navigation, worldwide meteorology and passage planning. The majority of the course is spent developing understanding of how to use the sextant, how to apply corrections and how to then calculate your position using the sun, moon, stars and planets.
For the classroom course, we provide all the tables, sextants and other tools for this course. During the week we will also cover the written exam required for completing the RYA Ocean Yachtmaster oral exam.
- Use of sextant, charts and publications
- Ocean shorebased exercise pack
- Plotting Sheets
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased written exam (classroom course)
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased certificate
- Free parking ( Subject to terms & conditions )
- Email and telephone support for the online course
What's Not Included:
Recommended Pre-Course Reading and Useful Books:
If the dates below do not suit you please let us know. We may be able to offer something else, particularly if you are booking several months in advance.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
We have two Ocean Yachtmaster Instructors on our full time permanent staff and one Ocean Examiner. While he does not examine our own students he helps us ensure we are pitching the course at the right level for candidates going on to take the MCA Yachtmaster Ocean exam.
Our classroom is equipped with two sextants and all of the ocean charts and publications that will be discussed on your course. As with all of our training, we ensure you learn using the real thing rather than pictures on a screen.
We ran our first Ocean course in 2002. Our first time pass rate for our Yachtmaster Ocean candidates who have gone on to take the MCA/RYA Ocean exam is 100%.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More