The RNLI tell us that the most common reason for call outs is machinery failure. Many of these call outs would be avoided if more yachtsmen (sail and power alike) had a better understanding of how the engine works and how to carry out regular checks and routine maintenance.
1 Day 0930 to 1700
None. No previous mechanical ability or knowledge of engines is required. You will be surprised at just how straightforward most of the checks, fault finding and adjustments are.
This course teaches you how your diesel engine works, how to keep it healthy by using basic checks and maintenance procedures, and how to get it started again in the event of a breakdown.
Whether you sail a yacht with an auxiliary diesel engine or are a motor cruising enthusiast, this course could not just save you money, but one day could save your life. Course topics include:
- The principles of diesel engine operation
- The systems and parts of the engine
- Fault finding
- Rectification of common problems
- Bleeding the fuel system
- Changing the impeller
- Routine maintenance
- Winter lay up procedures
Students have full access to a variety of real marine diesel engines and tools in the training workshop. Our training engines include Yanmar, Volvo, Lister and Perkins (although it is important to recognise this course covers areas common to most marine diesel engines rather than any specific model).
Why not watch our short how-to video for a head start on changing the pump impeller:
The course is a mixture of classroom sessions and workshop sessions. During the practical sessions you will work on our training engines, which include;
- Yanmar 55hp 4 cylinder turbo charged- fresh water cooled
- Perkins 40hp 3 cylinder- fresh water cooled
- Lister 38hp 3 cylinder- fresh water cooled
- Volvo 2 cylinder- salt water cooled
- Day of shorebased training
- Use of training engines and tools
- RYA Diesel Course Notes
- RYA Diesel Certificate
- Free Parking ( Subject to terms & conditions )
Recommended Pre-Course Reading and Useful Books:
If the dates below do not suit you we can set up a bespoke 1:1, 2:1 or group course at a time that suits you, either using our training workshop or your boat.
Why choose Stormforce Coaching for this course?:
Although we can run this course on board your own boat, most students opt to join one of the courses run at our centre. Our training workshop is equipped with four engines to ensure that you can see different types and are not left out while someone else is doing all of the practical work. The engines include a salt water cooled Volvo and three more modern fresh water cooled Yanmar, Perkins and Lister diesel engines.
We believe our instructors have the opportunity to demonstrate a wider variety of problems you may come across and different designs than your average cruising school which is equipped with only one training engine.
Dates & Prices will load below shortly, and you can book online, call the team in the office on +442380 231122, or e-mail email@example.com. If you cannot see dates you require, please do get in touch as we may still be able to assist. VAT is included in all our course/charter/race fees where it is applicable, most products are charged at the standard rate, however some are at the reduced rate, zero rate or not eligible for VAT at all. Any way the price below is the price you pay.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More