BSAC Diver Cox'n
The aim of the Diver Cox’n assessment is to assess a candidate’s practical boat handling skills, as well as the underpinning knowledge related to the general handling of small boats and to diving specific boat handling activities. The CDA Diver Cox’n Certificate will be awarded to those who demonstrate competence in the handling and management of a small powerboat.
Five hours driving experience to have been logged since taking the boat handling course or 20 hours logged experience as driver
Minimum age 16BSAC Membership
We also strongly recommend that candidates have completed a RYA SRC Radio Course.
The assessment comprises three sections:
Voyage Planning, Practical Boat handling and Theory Knowledge. Failure of any part means failure of the whole.
- Voyage planning: (taking into consideration the local tidal conditions on the assessment day and the times of high, low and slack water, as well as the inshore weather forecast). Preparation and checking of the boat.
- Practical Boat Handling: Open water handling – high speed, confined water handling, anchoring, dropping and recovering a shot line, man overboard simulation, dropping and recovering divers, coming alongside, approaching a shelving shore and recovery onto trailer.
- General Theory: Safety equipment to be carried – See the CDA publication “Guidelines for the Safe Operation of Member Club Dive Boats” available from BSAC HQ. Emergencies – radio operation, Mayday and Pan Pan calls, engine failure procedure, overdue divers procedure and emergency signals. Knots – clove hitch, round turn and two half hitches, anchor bend, reef knot and bowline. Rules of the road – collision avoidance, head-on, crossing and overtaking situations, factors likely to influence a vessel’s ability to manoeuvre. Navigation lights. Buoyage, identification of lateral buoys & Cardinal buoys, general buoyage.
- 4 hour assessment
- Use of one of our RIBs
- Loan of a life jacket
- BSAC Diver Cox'n Certification
- Free parking on site
What's Not Included:
- BSAC Diver Cox'n certificate fee
- BSAC membership
- Wet weather gear (£5 hire)
Please contact the office.
Individual Person Price: £175
Please call the office on 02380 231 122 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to book this course.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Team Stormforce take home a trophy from the Manches Cup! More
Great Race Results from the RORC Cervantes Trophy as the 2013 RORC Fastnet campaign gets underwayMore
- Now recruiting for the Stormforce Coaching Internship programme beginning September 2013... More
- 1st place race results to shout about! More