Thousands of “wannabe” crew are attracted by the sunshine, high salaries and travel of the superyacht industry. If this glamorous lifestyle appeals to you, there is no question that you need the basic training in safety, seamanship and boat handling on your CV before anyone will even consider you for crew work. This is a tough game to get into and a highly professional part of the industry, which requires a watertight CV.
Separately from the crew training we offer to the public, we also work with a number of superyachts and their agents, often flying overseas to carry out training and consultancy onboard.
We define superyachts as those craft over 24m in length.
New crew will need to complete a mixture of Safety Training and Boat Handling Courses. We recommend the following courses as a minimum:
- STCW Elementary First Aid
- MCA / RYA Sea Survival
- STCW'95 Fire Prevention & Fighting
- STCW'95 Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Tender Operator
- RYA PWC Proficiency
- RYA Short Range Certificate
- RYA Competent Crew
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased
- RYA Day Skipper Sail or Power
More experienced or career-minded superyacht crew will need to work towards their PWC Instructor and Yachtmaster Offshore qualifications in addition to those listed above. Modules needed for these additional qualifications include:
- RYA PWC Instructor
- RYA Radar
- RYA Diesel
- RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Shorebased
- MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Sail or Power
- RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Ocean
We also offer higher level medical training for superyacht deck officers.
- STCW'95 Proficiency in Medical First Aid Aboard Ship
- STCW'95 Proficiency in Medical Care Aboard Ship
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More