Charter Yacht Management
The Stormforce Coaching Yacht Management Scheme is a two way relationship, designed to remove the ongoing costs and hassles associated with yacht ownership for the owner and allow Stormforce Coaching to make use of the owner’s yacht while it is not being used. The initial agreement term is five years, usually commencing on 1 April (which is the start of the berthing year in most marinas).
The agreement is simple. The boat is berthed at Shamrock Quay, Southampton (at Stormforce Coaching’s expense). It is looked after, maintained and serviced (at Stormforce Coaching’s expense) and used by both Stormforce Coaching and the owner.
WHAT’S INCLUDED (for new cruising yachts)
- Annual berthing at Shamrock Quay Marina
- Shore power at Shamrock Quay Marina
- Free visitor berthing at all other MDL Marinas
- Full commercial marine yacht insurance
- Management of the yacht (handling licensing, warranties etc)
- Weekly cleaning and inventory checks
- Daily check of mooring lines, security etc.
- All maintenance and servicing
- Annual lift out and scrub
- Annual re anti-fouling
- Winter hull de-staining and polish
- Annual engine servicing
- Annual replacement of anodes
- Replacement of rudder and cutlass bearings as required
- Winch and hardware servicing
- All safety kit servicing (life jackets, life raft etc)
- Annual “Gas Safe” inspection, servicing and certification
- Replacement of almanac, charts etc. (as required)
- Replacement of flares, first aid kits etc. (as they expire)
- Coding certification, surveys and licensing costs
- Replacement of bulbs, batteries etc. (as required)
- Annual rig survey
- Sail servicing
- Other maintenance (as required)
- 25% discount on training courses for the owner and his/her immediate family
- One free RYA SRC, RYA Diesel or RYA Sea Survival Course for the owner
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- The owner is expected to purchase the vessel and equip her to the standard required by the company. Although ongoing replacement of equipment is paid for by the company, the yacht should start the management period fully equipped. The company will help the owner to source the various equipment required at trade prices, but initial purchase is at the owner’s expense.
- If the owner has any ongoing finance agreement or loan repayments in relation to the yacht, then they are at his/her own expense.
- The owner is expected to pay the cost of any damage that occurs during periods of "owner usage"
- While weekly cleaning takes place, the owner is expected to leave the yacht tidy after any "owner usage"
- If the owner wishes to race the yacht then he/she will need to pay the appropriate insurance premium to upgrade the yacht’s insurance.
Clearly the company needs to have regular use of the yacht in return for covering all of the above costs. The owner can therefore book the yacht up to 9 days every calendar month (except for when the yacht is ashore for refit/maintenance). The monthly usage can include up to 2 weekends each calendar month. Up to 5 days can be borrowed from neighbouring months if required, so if the owner wants a 2 week holiday in August he can ”borrow” the extra 5 days from either July or September (or both). If the yacht is not being used by the company, the owner can have extra usage (at short notice).
OWNER USAGE RESTRICTIONS
- Weekends cannot usually be borrowed from neighbouring months
- Borrowing cannot be cumulative (i.e. if August borrows 5 days from September, then September cannot borrow 5 days from October and so on)
- Summer months (May to October) cannot borrow from winter months (November to April)
- If the yacht is laid up ashore for refit or unable to put to sea while maintenance is carried out, then company usage and owner usuage is reduced on a "pro rata" amount for that calendar month
- The annual 'Round the Island Race' and the days immediately before and immediately after, are reserved for Stormforce Coaching each year
- The owner will have plenty of opportunity to book usage time. However, if he/she does not book the yacht, then the company may make use of it. Once the company has taken a booking for a course or charter on board the yacht, then it must be honoured
- The owner cannot block-book time "on spec." While it is understood that occasionally plans can change, it is unfair to repeatedly book usage of the yacht and not then use it
- The owner can use the yacht for up to 50% of the bank holiday days that occur in the period 1 May to 31 October each year (rounded down if there are an odd number of bank holiday days in the period). For the avoidance of doubt, Easter is not included in this quota and has no restrictions
- The yacht can be used by Stormforce Coaching, its customers, the owner and his/her spouse. It cannot be lent or chartered by the owner to a third party
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More
Doug, gives us his 7 top tips for getting your diesel engine ready for winter!More