Pass rates, like all statistics, are meaningless unless you have all the supporting information. Here is an insight.
When we ran our first ever Yachtmaster Preparation Week, there were three candidates onboard the yacht and they all passed the exam on their first attempt. As a Training Centre, we were then able to boast a perfect 100% exam pass rate for this course. As time went on, we ran more courses and managed to maintain this perfect pass rate. Then the devastating day came when two candidates failed the exam simultaneously. They were both re-examined within a week and both passed, but none-the-less our first time pass rate was down to approximately 96% (we could still have claimed a pass rate of 100% as they did pass a few days later but we felt this would have been misleading).
What had happened? Well, maybe exam nerves got the better of the two candidates, or maybe we had misjudged if they were quite ready for the exam. Either way, if you run enough courses, eventually someone will fail. So, if you see an RYA training centre that boasts a 100% pass rate, be suspicious and ask “How many students have passed with you and have they all been first time?”
So that you can compare us with others, our first time pass rate is just over 97% (January 2013), spread across more than 450 candidates on the various MCA Certificate of Competence Exams that we run:
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence (motor and sail)
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence (motor and sail)
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence (motor and sail)
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Coastal or Offfshore Conversion (motor or sail)
- MCA / RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More