These Joining Instructions cover the following Keelboat courses taught on board our keelboats.
- RYA Keelboat Level 1 - Start Sailing (2-day or 5-eve)
- RYA Keelboat Level 2 - Basic Skills (2-day or 5-eve)
- RYA Keelboat Level 3 - Better Sailing (2-day or 5-eve)
- RYA Keelboat Seamanship (2-day or 5-eve)
- RYA Keelboat Sailing With Spinnakers (2-day or 5-eve)
- RYA Keelboat Performance Sailing (2-day or 5-eve)
- RYA Keelboat Day Sailing (2-day)
- RYA Keelboat Start Racing (2-day)
- RYA Keelboat Intermediate Racing (5-day)
- RYA Keelboat Advanced Racing (5-day)
For RYA Keelboat Instructor Courses please go to the Instructor Courses Joining Instructions page. For own boat tuition please see the Own Boat Tuition Joining Instructions Page.
- 2-day courses starts at 0930 and finishes by 1700 each day
- 5-evening courses start at 1800 and finish at 2045 each week
- 5-day racing courses start at 0930 on the first day and 0900 on subsequent days, finish times vary
Lunch is not included, you can either bring a packed lunch or eat at the cafe next door. Tea and Coffee is included throughout the day and you can help yourself at the centre.
If you require accommodation you will find a list of some local accommodation at Southampton Accommodation.
The pre requisites for each course are listed on the individual course pages (click on the links in the bullet points list above)
All students are provided with a buoyancy aid and it should be worn whenever you are afloat. If you would prefer to wear your own buoyancy aid than you may do so. It must be of a minimum 50 Newtons, be well fitting and in good condition. Non-swimmers are provided with an automatic inflation 150N life jacket instead
WHAT TO BRING
- Warm clothing
- Cap, hat, gloves, sun-cream, sunglasses (depending on season)
- Waterproofs (or hire ours for £5/day))
- Towel & change of clothes (just in case)
- Wellies (or footwear that can get wet)
- Note pad and pen
- RYA logbook
Those use to dinghy sailing may be tempted to wear a wetsuit, we would advise against this, the chances of submersion in the sea are very small as our keelboats do not capsize.
If you intend to take any more courses we also recommend you purchase the RYA logbook.
The certificate is usually issued at the end of the course. RYA certification is awarded at the discretion of your instructor and the Principal.
You may wish to take some photographs during your course to take home and share with friends and family. Please feel free to snap away (as long as other students are happy to have their photographs taken). We’d love to see your photos, so please do post any images captured whilst on a course with us onto our Facebook page. We run a monthly competition to find the best, or most entertaining, course photo. This can include something amusing you’ve seen whilst on the water: as long as the picture was taken while you were on a course with us, it’s valid for entry! Every month one of our students wins a £50 voucher to redeem against their next course, race or charter.
USEFUL PRE-READING BEFORE YOUR COURSE
RYA Keelboat Level 1 & 2 Courses
RYA Keelboat Spinnaker, Seamanship and Performance Courses
RYA Keelboat Day Sailing Courses
RYA Keelboat Racing Courses
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More