These Joining Instructions cover the RYA Personal Water Craft (PWC) Proficiency Course taught onboard one of our skis.
For RYA PWC Instructor Courses please go to the Instructor Courses Joining Instructions page. For own boat tuition please see the Own Boat Tuition Joining Instructions Page.
PWC courses meet at the Training Centre at Shamrock Quay Marina (unless specifically stated otherwise). Directions can be found here. Parking is free on site for our customers (as long as you have registered with the marina).
The course start at 0930 and runs finishes by 1700
Lunch is not included, you can either bring a packed lunch or eat at the cafe next door. Tea and Coffee is included throughout the day and you can help yourself at the centre.
If you require accommodation the night before or after your course you will find a list of some local accommodation at Southampton Accommodation.
The pre requisites for this course are listed at RYA PWC Proficency Course.
All students are provided with an impact vest and it should be worn whenever you are afloat. If you would prefer to wear your own impact vest than you may do so. It must be of a minimum 50 Newtons, be well fitting and provide good protection to your torso if you were to fall of a ski at high speed
WHAT TO BRING
- Note pad and pen
- Swimming costume/boxer short to wear under the wetsuit
- Wetsuit and spray top (or hire ours for £5/day)
- Wetsuit boots (or footwear that can get wet, not flip flops)
- Gloves, hat and sunglasses (depending on season)
- Passport photograph
The certificate is usually issued at the end of the day and will require a passport photograph of you. RYA certification is awarded at the discretion of your instructor and the Principal.
You may wish to take some photographs during your course to take home and share with friends and family. Please feel free to snap away (as long as other students are happy to have their photographs taken). We’d love to see your photos, so please do post any images captured whilst on a course with us onto our Facebook page. We run a monthly competition to find the best, or most entertaining, course photo. This can include something amusing you’ve seen whilst on the water: as long as the picture was taken while you were on a course with us, it’s valid for entry! Every month one of our students wins a £50 voucher to redeem against their next course, race or charter.
INTERNATIONAL CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE / ICC (additional option)
By completing the 1-day RYA PWC Proficiency Course you are automatically eligible for an ICC. This is an international certificate recognised in many countries. If you require an ICC we can take care of the paperwork while you are here however you will need;
- An additional passport photograph
- Passport, as proof of nationality
- Proof of residence in the UK if you are from a UN country other than UK, USA, Canada or Holland.
- RYA Membership (this then waives the RYA license fee), you can join by clicking the banner/ link below
Anyone training for the ICC with us will automatically receive the coastal endorsement to their ICC. If you additionally require the inland endorsement (for the inland waterways of Europe) then you will also need to take the CEVNI test. The book below is essential pre course reading if you intend to also take the CEVNI test.
Parents or guardians of students aged under eighteen must fill in and sign a medical declaration / consent form for their child prior to the course starting. This is usually done in the morning. If you will not be there to drop off your child, please contact the office for a form in advance. Certificates for under- sixteens will be endorsed “The holder should only use powered craft under the supervision of a responsible adult”.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More