With the arrival of Palpatine in the Caribbean (having completed the ARC Trans Atlantic Race), our Caribbean Cocktails feature is back for 5 months. Past students may have noticed a bit of a Star Wars theme here at Stormforce Coaching, so this winter we'll be making Star Wars cocktails!
Palpatine raced in 'Les Voiles De Saint-Barths' Regatta this month, so the local rum “Rhum St Barth Chic” forms the base of this months cocktail, the EMPEROR:
- Muddle 2/4 of lime with 1/2 sprig of chopped lemongrass in a highball glass.
- Add a generous double measure of rum, 2cl of sugar syrup and ice.
- Top the glass up with equal measures of apple juice, cranberry juice and ginger beer.
If you don't have access to one of the limited 5,000 bottles of Rhum St Barth Chic which are made each year you can swap for most spiced rums.
Following the success of the St. Maarten Heineken Regatta, this month's cocktail is based on Guvaberry - St Maarten’s best known rum. As an aside, the island is also home to “Yoda Guy”, a movie museum, whose owner did Yoda’s make up in Empire Strikes Back.
There are a number of Guvaberry rums and we have picked the Guvaberry Republic Rum as the base for March cocktail - the GALACTIC REPUBLIC:
- Slice a lime into quarters
- Add three to a glass and muddle with three fresh basil leaves and a teaspoon of sugar
- Add ice and pour a couple of shots of “Guvaberry Republic Rum" over the ice
- Top up with pomegranate juice and stir
- Garnish the glass with the fourth fresh lime quarter and a fresh basil leaf before serving
If you do not have Republic rum replace with an alternative golden rum.
Palpatine and our team completed the 300 mile Barbados to Antigua race at the end of last month. The yacht is now being prepared for the RORC Caribbean 600 Race, which also starts and finishes in Antigua. As the yacht is temporarily berthed in English Harbour it seems the logical base for this month’s Caribbean cocktail - THE JEDI MIND TRICK.
As always our cocktails are simple to make, blend in equal measure:
- English Harbour rum
- A few scoops of vanilla ice cream
- Once smooth, decant into a large glass and garnish with 2 cherries and a straw.
As Palptine sails to Barbados for the Mounty Gay Rum Round Barbados Race, this month's cocktail recipe has to be based on one of the Mount Gay Rums. We have picked Mount Gay Silver (a white rum) as the base for the LIGHTSABER.
Mix Mount Gay Silver rum, apple schnapps and sour mix in equal measures in a highball glass, add ice and top up with lemonade such as Sprite or 7up.
If you do not have Mount Gay Silver you can substitute with any white rum such as Bacardi.
Each Caribbean country has its own national rum and St. Lucia is no exception as it has two distinctly different brands, “Chairman’s Reserve" and “Bounty Rum.”
For this month’s cocktail we have picked the rather aptly named BOUNTY HUNTER, a very easy to make, popular cocktail!
Add all of the following into your blender and blend until slushy:
- 2 shots of Bounty Rum
- A dash of grapefruit juice
- 1/4 pint of pineapple juice
- 2 or 3 shots of sour mix
- 1 shot of bar syrup
- plenty of crushed ice
If you don't have Bounty Rum, any gold or spiced rum will suffice.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More
Doug, gives us his 7 top tips for getting your diesel engine ready for winter!More