Several MCA / RYA Certificates of Competence can be commercially endorsed, enabling the certificate holder to use their qualification commercially.
The certificates that can be commercially endorsed fall into two groups. There are seven MCA / RYA Certificates of Competence that can be commercially endorsed:
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Power Certificate of Competence
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Sail Certificate of Competence
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Sail Certificate of Competence
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Power Certificate of Competence
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Sail Certificate of Competence
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Power Certificates of Competence
- MCA / RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
There are also three RYA courses that can lead to a commercial endorsement:
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Dayskipper Sail & Dayskipper Shorebased
- RYA Dayskipper Power and Dayskipper Shorebased
Each qualification or Certificate of Competence will allow the holder to carry out different types of work. The process for commercially endorsing any of the above MCA / RYA qualifications or Certificates of Competence is the same.
You need to hold the following certificates for a commercial endorsement:
- The certificate you wish to endorse
- RYA Sea Survival (or equivalent)
- ENG1 or ML5 Medical from a Doctor
- RYA PPR- Personal Practices and Responsibilities
Having collected the above four certificates you can apply for a commercial endorsement simply by filing in the commercial endorsement application form, attaching originals of your certificates and sending the whole lot off to the RYA with the relevant fee (£30 at the time of writing).
To remain legal, you (or someone else onboard) will also need to hold the relevant level of First Aid Certificate. The commercial endorsement is valid for five years (assuming your other certificates are kept in date). If, during that time, you pass another RYA course or MCA Certificate of Competence that can be commercially endorsed, then your commercial endorsement can be carried across free of charge.
The commercial endorsement is required by anyone who intends to use their qualification or certificate of competence commercially, including charter skippers, delivery skippers, sail or motor cruising instructors, advanced powerboat instructors, sea safari skippers, wind farm skippers, the offshore industry, professional race crew deck officers, super yacht crew, tug drivers and so on.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More