The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is effectively an international certificate. It came about as the result of UN Resolution 40 and is managed in the UK by the RYA (Royal Yachting Association). Once you are certified with an ICC you can cross borders throughout much of Europe and many other parts of the world safe in the knowledge that you are licensed to operate pleasure craft. The ICC is formally accepted in those countries that have signed up to Resolution 40 (see list lower down this page) and is also accepted informally in many other countries (including Portugal, Spain, Greece and France). There are four categories of ICC:
- Power (up to 10m)
- PWC (Jet Skis)
Your ICC can be endorsed for any (or all of) the above four categories.
We endorse all of our students who take the ICC the qualification for coastal use. The ICC can also be endorsed for inland use by taking a short multiple choice “CEVNI” paper on inland regulations. This is required by skippers intending to use the inland waterways of Holland, Belgium, France, Germany and other European countries. The upper size limit for the ICC in most countries that accept it is 80 grt (gross registered tonnes). The ICC is not for commercial use.
Experienced boaters can join us for a direct assessment for the ICC or combine the assessment with some coaching if they feel they are a little rusty. The ICC can also be signed off alongside many of our RYA Courses, allowing you to “kill two certificates with one course”.
ICC Sail can be awarded to anyone passing any of the following courses with us:
- RYA Day Skipper Sail
- RYA Coastal Skipper Sail
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Sail
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Sail
- RYA Keelboat Instructor
ICC Power (upto10m) can be awarded to anyone passing any of the following courses with us:
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Powerboat Intermediate
- RYA Powerboat Advanced
- MCA / RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
- BSAC Boat Handling
- BSAC Diver Cox’n
ICC Power can be awarded to anyone passing any of the following courses with us:
- RYA Day Skipper Power
- RYA Coastal Skipper Power
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Power
- MCA / RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Power
ICC PWC (Personal Watercraft / Jet Skis) can be awarded to anyone passing the RYA PWC Proficiency Course with us.
We make no extra charge if you would like an ICC while taking one of the above courses, although you will need to pay the RYA a licence fee of £43. It is, however, cheaper to become an RYA member and then get the ICC for free. You can either apply for RYA membership online on this site or fill in an application form when you are with us.
Unfortunately, due to various international agreements, we are unable to issue everyone with an ICC. The certificate is available to a person over the age of 16 who is:
- A British National or resident
- A Canadian National or resident
- A USA National or resident
- A National or resident of any country which is not UNECE (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe)
- A National or resident of any country which is a member of UNECE but has not signed up to resolution 40
We are unable to isue an ICC to someone who is a national of a county on the list below AND is also resident in that country or another country on the same list.
- Czech Republic
The above list is correct at the time of writing (December 2014). All of our other courses and qualifications are open to every nationality but will always be taught in the English language.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More