Our permanent staff are complimented by a small number of freelance instructors. Some are full time professionals, and some teach sailing and powerboating in their spare time as a second job. Most of the freelance instructors we use have been working with us for several years; some even since the business started.
While we are not actively looking for new instructors, it is inevitable that we will require new staff from time to time, particularly during the busy summer months. If you are interested in working with us then you will need as an absolute minimum:
- A friendly and patient approach to instructing
- Extensive experience in the activity/field you instruct
- The appropriate instructor’s qualification
- Experience of instructing sailing, powerboating or marine shorebased courses already
- A reference from at least one other organisation you have taught for (ideally from an RYA Principal)
- A current First Aid Certificate
- Agreement to undergo a DBS check if we require one
- UK/Euro nationality or appropriate work visa
We do not generally recruit newly qualified instructors (unless we have cherry picked them from our own Instructor Training Courses). We prefer instructors who have some good coaching experience and are now ready to develop further. We look for instructors who have a genuine background in, and love for, their sport gained over many years.
While we have a great respect for those holding RYA/MCA Certificates of Competence (Advanced Powerboat, Yachtmaster Coastal, Offshore & Ocean) and their abilities as skippers, we prefer to use skippers who are also RYA Instructors for our racing, charter, corporate and delivery work. This allows us to provide our customers with more experienced and higher qualified staff.
Freelance Instructors, looking for work should contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org providing us with as much relevant information as possible.
Test your Knowledge!
Fancy trying your luck on one of our Quizzes?Take a Quiz!
- Our team aboard SB20 "New Hope" sailed to victory over the weekend winning both races at the RSYC Frostbite Championships and being awarded the "Boat Club" Trophy More
- All of us at Stormforce Coaching wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Palpatine has sailed from Gran Canaria to St Lucia in just under 20 days! More
- Luke, our Course Advisor is now Principal! More
Doug, gives us his top tips for getting your outboard engine ready for winter!More